SQL Assistant to Teradata Studio Express Question

Teradata Studio
N/A

SQL Assistant to Teradata Studio Express Question

I've recently begun working with Teradata Studio Express after about a year of working with SQL Assistant. My primary use of Teradata is for BI applications such as ad-hoc reporting.

I've been attracted to the ability to export directly to MS Excel and the query assistant tool but I've had two issues that I've been unable to find a way to fix yet. 

Most importantly, I'm often requested to export data sets in the 500k+ record range which is too much to view in the results tab. So far, after going through the menus and preferences in TD Studio Express I haven't been able to find an option similar to SQL Assistant's File -> Export Results option. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

9 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: SQL Assistant to Teradata Studio Express Question

Teradata Studio Express does not have an "Export" mode that is found in SQL Assistant, at this time. It is a feature we are planning to add. So to export to Excel, you either need to export from the result set or from the Table Data Editor.  The Table Data Editor does have a paging and filter feature so you can manage the 500k rows by filtering out unwanted rows or only export a page at a time.

Share my little idea.

Teradata Studio Preferences --> Teradata Datatools Preferences --> Result Set View Preferences --> Copy Column Delimiter --> Delimiter Format: "Tab Separated".

After change Copy column delimiter to TAB, you can direct copy the result set and paste to empty worksheet in MS Excel.

Thanks,

Agreed this would be a good feature to add.

You can use an Excel add-in and query a database from Excel directly (powerpivot)

Teradata Employee

I agree: it is a great feature to add to Studio.

Can't wait to have it available.

Teradata Employee

Marco, the latest version, 15.10.01 has an Export Mode option for Studio and Studio Express. There is a SQL Editor toolbar option to enable this directly or go to the SQL Handling preference page to enable this option.

Teradata Employee

I am one minor behind (15.10.00.01.201504291700), time to upgrade.

Thanks for pointing me to the new release.

Launching Teradata Studio installed on MAC Book PRO and hangs on the welcome page

I am new to Teradata. INstalled Teradata Studio successfully on Mac Book Pro, when first time launching, it hangs on the welcome page. Uninstalled and reinstall, still see the same issue.

Thanks,

David

Teradata Employee

David, What version of Mac OSx and what version of Java? We have seen an issue with older versions of the JDK, such as 1.6 running on Mac Osx 10.10 and 10.11. If you are running on an older version of Java, can you upgrade and see if that resolves your issue?

Hi Fgrimmer,

yes, you are right. my Jre Version is 1.6 and Teradata Studio is the 15.10, which need higher JRE. I reinstall JRE 1.8 and that fixed the issue.

Thanks,

David