Studio Express 14.10 Startup Error

Teradata Studio
Enthusiast

Studio Express 14.10 Startup Error

I was able to run 14.01 on my Windows 7 laptop but after installing 14.10 today, I just get a popup window saying "Java was started but returned exit code=1".

I have both Java 1.6 and 1.7 installed if that matters.

19 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Studio Express 14.10 Startup Error

Can you verify that you have the correct 32-bit or 64-bit version of Studio Express and JRE.  Is there an error log in your configuration directory?

Enthusiast

32 bit version.  What is the path to the configuration directory?

Teradata Employee

If you have installed the 32-bit version of Studio Express, run the java -version command and verify that the 32-bit version of JRE is returned.

The configuration directory is located in the install location, default is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Teradata\Client\14.10\Teradata Studio Express\configuration

Enthusiast

No error log in that location.  I do have Java installed as it was used in my 14.01 version of Studio Express.

1.7 1.7.0_51 http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe   true
1.6 1.6.0_23 http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe   true

A startup error window pops up when I try to run 14.10.  Is this information logged somewhere?  I cannot copy the text out of it but that info may be helpful.

Teradata Employee

Also look for log file in the .eclipse/<installInstance>/configuration which is located in your <USER> directory.

Open a DOS window and run: java -version command. For example, 

C:\Windows\System32>java -version

java version "1.6.0_20"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode)

Both 1.6 and 1.7 are supported. 

Enthusiast

If I go to Control Panel...(Java 32-bit), the Java Control Panel shows me info on version 1.6 and 1.7, but the DOS window method yields the below.

c:\Windows\System32>java -version

'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

Enthusiast

FYI, I have uninstalled Java 1.6 and now only have 1.7.  My other Java software seems to be working fine.  I did notice this on the popup window from Studio Express when I try and run it:

Java was started but returned exit code=1

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe

-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.6

Teradata Employee

When you installed Studio Express 14.10.01 it should ask you for the location of your JRE. Can you uninstall Studio Express and try to re-install. It should find your JRE 1.7 version.

Enthusiast

Just did an uninstall and re-install where it found the JRE 1.7, but I still get the popup with the same startup error info:

Java was started but returned exit code=1

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe

-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.6

There is a lot of other info in this popup error message box. Is this info logged anywhere besides what we discussed previously?