Studio Express severe keyboard lag

Teradata Studio

Studio Express severe keyboard lag

I am experiencing severe keyboard lag with Studio Express ever since I installed it couple months ago.  It started with the previous version (15.10.1.1) and still exists with 15.11.

My laptop: Windows 7, Intel Core i5 @ 1.90Ghz, 8 GB RAM, 64-bit.

The issue I have is keyboard lag.  It's as simple as that.  When I open a blank SQL editor window or an existing SQL file, everything works fine -- Typing response and usage of arrow keys are all good.  But, soon afterwards, say after typing some code and running some of them, 20 to 30 minutes of continuous usage (it can vary), the keyboard starts to lag severely.  If I close the file and re-open, things are fine again, but of course, only temporarily.

I've viewed few different threads on this forum related to this topic.  Though they seemed to focus mainly with Mac users, I tried the different suggestions for my Windows computer anyway.  I've tried modifying the Java settings in the TeradataStudioExpress.ini file (the xms and xmx parameters), but that didn't work.  I've tried changing the cache size in Java Control Panel, but that didn't work.  I looked into toggling off the code assist feature, but I never had that on in the first place.  I also tried turning off syntax validation, typing aids, and maybe another thing or two in preferences, but none of them worked as well.

Just wondering if there any new thoughts or ideas to troubleshoot this.  I was really hoping that the 15.11 release would fix things, but it didn't.  Whether I installed it on top of the older version or uninstall the old and then reinstall the new, the same issue persists.

19 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Studio Express severe keyboard lag

Steven, Have you looked into your graphics card. I found one thread that mentioned this same issue and when they switched the driver version for their NVIDIA card, it resolved the issue. Just wondering if there is any issues there?

Hmm, I don't think I have a problem there.  I have the latest version of the driver for my integrated Intel graphics.

Teradata Employee

Steven, We will continue to look into this issue.

I was looking in the teradata.log file found in the workspace directory.  An entry I'm curious about and which happens frequently is:

"2016-06-28 10:51:54,089 Teradata Datatools [main] ERROR com.teradata.datatools.dtp.sqltools - Unexpected database version 0.x, using latest version's parser"

What does this mean, and could it be related to my issue?

Teradata Employee

It means that the version of the database is not recognized by Studio Express. What version of Teradata are you connecting to?

I've been connecting to Teradata v. 15.10.1.08.

I noticed the following.  Curious as to whether any of these values look right and could be causing the keyboard lag, considering that I'm running on a 64-bit Windows computer.  I obviously don't know what these parameters mean, except for the workspace specification ("-data").

BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_US

Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -data C:\ProgramData\Teradata\Workspace

Teradata Employee

As you mention, the -data is to re-locate the workspace. Are you launching with -data? Where is your workspace created? By default, Studio Express will create the workspace in your %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%, as per the desktop shortcut. Are you using the desktop shortcut to launch Studio Express? 

When you notice the SQL Editor lag, are you highlighting words in the SQL Editor when it happens?

Yes, I'm launching using the desktop shortcut and with -data.  The desktop shortcut launches with the re-located workspace.  It has a "start in" of %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%.  The workspace location must have been imposed by my company, but I don't think there's any reason why I can't change it to the program defaults.  I'm not sure about the pros/cons of the two options.  Does it make a difference, since the default and custom workspace locations are both on the hard drive.

The SQL Editor lag doesn't really occur when highlighting text.  It happens when typing or moving the cursor with arrow keys.