Tera Data Local DataBase questions

Teradata Studio
Enthusiast

Tera Data Local DataBase questions

Hello Everyone. I am new to TeraData. I want to create a local database on my computer to play with. While I do have the express version with the TeraData VM I do not want to go this route. I simply want to use my computer as a local host and create a Database locally. I feel like this shouldnt be a dificult task. In the real world I will have a physical server with a local Teradata DB that resides on it so I dont see why I can't create a TeraData DB on my local desktop. Any thoughts?

Accepted Solutions
Junior Contributor

Re: Tera Data Local DataBase questions

A multi-node Teradata system based on Teradata supplied hardware is always running natively (no VM) and is pre-installed by Teradata's Customer Service.
Only a single node (non-Teradata) system might be installed by you using the Software-only edition, but it still has to run SLES as OS.

Cloud offers run in pre-installed VMs.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
7 REPLIES
Junior Contributor

You got your virtual server with Teradata on it, this is a local as possible. There's no way to install Teradata locally without VM.
Enthusiast

So in the enterprise enviorment you cant just create a local DB on a server? You have to get a VM from tera data and make that the server?

Enthusiast

A better way to ask this might be:

Tera Data cant just be installed on a local server enviorment? All instances even production are ran within a Virtual Machine that you get from TeraData?

Junior Contributor

No, production systems usually run on server hardware.
The virtual/cloud offers run in a virtual environment, but those are pre-installed VMs, too.

There's a Software-only edition of Teradata you could install on a server running SLES 11, but that's not a free download.

Enthusiast

I know production systems would run on server hardware, but how is it configured in that case. Do I understand correctly that it's Either A) A pre installed VM that you get from Teradata that runs on the server or B) the software only edition that can be ran on SLES 11? I appologize maybe I am not  understanding correctly

Junior Contributor

A multi-node Teradata system based on Teradata supplied hardware is always running natively (no VM) and is pre-installed by Teradata's Customer Service.
Only a single node (non-Teradata) system might be installed by you using the Software-only edition, but it still has to run SLES as OS.

Cloud offers run in pre-installed VMs.
Enthusiast

I got it. Thank you so much sir!