Teradata Studio 14.10.1 installer error "Wrong os or os version for application" on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Teradata Studio

Teradata Studio 14.10.1 installer error "Wrong os or os version for application" on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit w/ SP1 but cannot seem to install any of the Teradata Studio 14.10.1 [Express] applications.  I've tried the 64-bit and 32-bit versions of both Studio and Studio Express.  I've also tried installing using the .msi and by running the setup.exe.  Right after the path to the JRE is set, the installation wizard tells me "The wizard was interrupted before Teradata Studio [nt-x8664] could be completely installed" and the only option is to click Finish.  I noticed that when I try to install using the instmsiw.exe (for any of the installers), I invariably get the error message "Wrong os or os version for application" in a popup window.  I have use the "Run as admnistrator" option in all cases.  My colleague is running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and was able to install with no problem.  I'm very eager to upgrade to Studio as my only other option is SQL Assistant.

Any ideas why the installer cannot recognize Windows 7 Pro 64-bit?  As far as I can tell, Windows 7 is in the Windows NT family which is listed in the installer's setup.ini file.

2 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata Studio 14.10.1 installer error "Wrong os or os version for application" on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

We have seen this problem if some of the DLLs needed by VB Script were not installed. The workaround is to do a silent install, without the UI. Unzip the download and locate the setup.exe file. Open a command window and run the following command:

setup.exe  /s /v”/qn

Re: Teradata Studio 14.10.1 installer error "Wrong os or os version for application" on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Lovely.  That did the trick -- although I used this command:

setup.exe  /s /v/qn

(i.e., no embedded double quote).

The application showed up in my list of installed Programs via the control panel, but I had to find the executable down in my C:\Program Files\Teradata\Client\14.10\Teradata Studio nt-x8664 folder to launch it.  That is, I did not find it in my Start menu, but that's no problem.

Thank you!