Teradata Studio 15.0 connecting to Hadoop using JDBC fails

Teradata Studio

Teradata Studio 15.0 connecting to Hadoop using JDBC fails

Connecting to a Hadoop Sandbox or a HDP via JDBC using TDS 15.0 is erroring out after using WebHDFS port 50070 with the following error:

java.lang.Exception: Hadoop not configured to run jobs by this application.
at com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.connectivity.HadoopConnection.open(HadoopConnection.java:126)
at com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.connectivity.HadoopConnectionFactory.createConnection(HadoopConnectionFactory.java:30)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionFactoryProvider.createConnection(ConnectionFactoryProvider.java:83)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionProfile.createConnection(ConnectionProfile.java:359)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.PingJob.createTestConnection(PingJob.java:76)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.PingJob.run(PingJob.java:59)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

Ideas?

7 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata Studio 15.0 connecting to Hadoop using JDBC fails

Have you followed the instructions in the "Teradata Connector for Hadoop Setup" section at the bottom of the Teradata Studio download page (http://downloads.teradata.com/download/tools/teradata-studio)? The exception you included indicates that the Hadoop system has not had this configuration done.

Teradata Employee

Even I am facing the same issue. I have followed all the instruction of the readme file. Need to get this working ASAP. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Regards

Aastha

Teradata Employee

If you are connecting to HDP 2.1 you must use the latest Studio release, 15.00.01. Refer to the download page Readme as this also requires a new version of the TDCH, 1.3.1. Also if you already have Studio 15.00.00 installed, you must uninstall it before installing the new 15.00.01 version.

Teradata Employee

I encountered the same problem, and having updated to Studio 15.00.01 and running the configuration scripts, it has been replaced by a new message:

Error: Cannot open file services.json in HDFS. Check the WebHDFS configuration.

I've scanned through HDFS, and the services.json file is found in /teradata/tdch/

Any suggestions on this? I'm also using TDCH 1.3.1 and connecting to a HDP2.1 environment.

Teradata Employee

Paolo, I’m guessing you are running into the classic Hadoop sandbox problem. You need to edit your client host file to include the IP of the sandbox and sandbox.hortonworks.com.

The Windows host file is here: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

And an example addition for my sandbox (your IP will be different) is:  192.168.67.132        sandbox.hortonworks.com

Teradata Employee

Francine, it worked perfectly! Thanks, that saved a lot of hair from being pulled.

Teradata Employee

If someone is still having problems with this error:

Error: Cannot open file services.json in HDFS. Check the WebHDFS configuration.

after adding sandbox and sandbox.hortonworks.com to the hosts

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts - on windows

/etc/hosts - on OS X

You should check if in HDFS you have JSON file:/teradata/tdch/services.json

hdfs dfs -ls /teradata/tdch/services.json

If you don't have this file, run configuration script from Teradata Connector for Hadoop:

/usr/lib/tdch/1.3/scripts/configureOozie.sh nn=sandbox