Teradata Studio Express 15 (mac) slow & laggy

Teradata Studio
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata Studio Express 15 (mac) slow & laggy

@Moo, We have fixed a bug loading data into a table that involves a Java Memory issue. Can you see if you are hitting this error in the error logs?

Hi,  I updated my setting to this;

-Xms1024m

-Xmx4096m

-XX:MaxPermSize=3072m

-Djava.util.Arrays.useLegacyMergeSort=true

And Teradata Studio Express is still running slow on my very powerful MacBook Pro...  In my Windows VM, TD Studio Express is working much better.  I think TD need to focus on developing TD Studio Express to work better on Macs. I know it seems like big ask, but there are lots of Mac users out there.  This is a good SQL Editor and it would be sad to let it go just cause its not developed well for Mac OS as opposed to Windows.

thanks,

Eoin

Teradata Employee

We have noticed an issue with Teradata Studio on Mac OSx when installed remotely by the administrator. The user did not have Administrator premission and thus an administrator had to log in remotely to install Studio on his Mac machine. The user noticed the slow response and posted the following:

"I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling.  I believe something got messed up during the install.  I am not sure what happened, but at the time, I did not have Admin rights on my laptop/Mac.  My install was done remotely over VPN and Webex, and I am not sure if some configuration files or Workspace files may have been set for a shared drive or something.

It is early yet, but Studio is responding much better now and the issue seems to have gone away.  I do need to use it longer to be sure, but that will come.  I increased the parameters in the .ini file as well.  It may be a good idea to document that process of unlocking the directory and files on the Mac Finder and updating the file.  This is definitely not intuitive on the Mac."

Not sure if this is your situation?

Another option we to check the Java Control Panel system preference and the Temporary Internet Files setting for Java. Change the setting from 32GB to 5 GB and use "Delete files..." for the Trace and Log Files and Cached Application and Applets. 

Enthusiast

Hi there,

I'm noticing typing lags on my TD Studio for Mac.

Are there any settings changes that I can make to help improve this?

Thanks!

Teradata Employee

Hi,

Could you please provide more deatils.

Have you followed the some instructions mentioned in the post like changing the ini file etc.

Enthusiast

Hi,

Yes I have. in fact, I have changed it to 4gb. 

What I've learned recently is that if I close my TD and restart it, it works fine, but only for a limited time. Is there a way to permanently fix this? I don't want to have to go to another SQL client for this very reason. 

Thank you.

Teradata Employee

Is content Assist is enabled or disabled

Highlighted
Enthusiast

if what you are referring to is the Code Assist AutoActivation, then yes...

Enthusiast

Any update? My macs keyboard types fine in every mac and everywhere else but Teradata. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and nothing.

Teradata Employee

Sorry for this problem. Could you please share your ini file contents.

You can open incident and attach all the log files and int file.

Wecan analyse them and provide our views on this