Teradata Studio Express 15 (mac) slow & laggy

Teradata Studio

Teradata Studio Express 15 (mac) slow & laggy

Just recently moved from a windows machine with sql assistant to a mac with studio express, and I'm running into some issues with studio express:

• Keypresses are laggy - e.g. I've typed a whole line and the editor is still chunking along character-by-character from the previous line
  • Executing statements is laggy - progress window won't show up after submitting statements for a few seconds
  • Hover-text in the SQL history seems to be a bit buggy - sometimes it'll repeatedly pop up and remove the hover text, so I can't really read things

Any thoughts on whether there's either a) another option for mac for just submitting "end-user" queries - insert/update/select/etc., or b) some sets of options that I can set up in studio express to performance-tune it to limit the lagginess?  The keypress lag is particularly difficult to work around.

Thanks!

12 REPLIES
Senior Apprentice

Re: Teradata Studio Express 15 (mac) slow & laggy

On my system this was mainly related to low memory assigned to Java.

There's a TeradataStudio.ini file within the app folder:

/Applications/TeradataStudio/Teradata Studio.app/Contents/MacOS

Try increasing minimum and maximum memory, my settings are

-Xms512

-Xmx2028m

That seems to help somewhat, thanks Dieter!

Enthusiast

This definitely seems to help.  Any idea what the below setting is, and should it be changed to 2048 as well?

-XX:MaxPermSize=512m

Teradata Employee

Adam, MaxPermSize refers to the size needed by the permanent generation of objects in the VM (Class names, internalized strings, objects that will never get garbage-collected). If you see java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space errors, you need to increase the permanent generation space available to Studio.  

Hi. When I open the terdataStudioExpress.ini file in TextEdit on Mac, I'm able to see the text but when I try to edit the setting I get this warning;

"You don’t own the file “TeradataStudioExpress.ini” and don’t have permission to write to it."

Any advice on how i can change these settings?

Teradata Employee

@egillen, The TeradataStudioExpress.ini is located in the install directory. You will need admin privileges to modify it. 

Hi Francine, I've been able to carry out the update and i've already seen a performance improvement.  :-)  

I'm just wondering, how high can I update these memory settings... is there a point of diminishing returns?

Teradata Employee

@egillen, You can increase the memory arguments in the .ini file. The current settings are at 512m:

-Xms512m

-Xmx512m

-XX:MaxPermSize=512m

It probably depends on how much memory you have on your desktop system.

Enthusiast

I had the same problem. I switched off all the syntax checking and it was still slow. 

HOWEVER!

Closing studio and restarting it did the job. (Apparently, even though you change the settings, the program needs to be closed and reopened before the new settings take effect.