Teradata Studio Express - Connectivity to Oracle/SQLServer

Teradata Studio

Teradata Studio Express - Connectivity to Oracle/SQLServer

Teradata Studio Express forum,

What client SW do I need to install for connectivity to Oracle/SQLServer from Teradata Studio Express ? vendor JDBC components?

The *.jar distribution required to create the DB connection in the Data Source view? Available where ?

Thanks in advance.

Harry

5 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata Studio Express - Connectivity to Oracle/SQLServer

Harry, You will need the JDBC jars for Oracle/SQLServer that you would get from the Oracle/SQLServer sites. Here are some tips that were posted on creating the connection profile for Oracle:

1) get working TNS entry for your Oracle instance

2) download (ideally from OTN website) & install Oracle jdbc drivers (ojdbc6.jar) --> just put them to any folder you like

3) run 'new connection profile' wizard --> choose Oracle as vendor and name your connection as used to

4) install new jdbc driver --> choose "OtherOracle" --> provide JAR file location (from step #2) -->

5) --> properties tab values to be like this:

* Connection URL: jdbc:oracle:thin:@//

* ​​Driver Class: oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver 

Note: /for OracleThinDriver  11 looks like this:/ Connection URL:

jdbc:oracle:thin:@server:1521:db

1) save it,edit credentials, for jdbc URL use notation like this: jdbc:oracle:thin@tns-entry-without-identificator

jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(LOAD_BALANCE=ON)(FAILOVER=ON)(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=node1.example.net)(PORT=1526))(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=node2.example.net)(PORT=1526)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=exam.prod.net)(FAILOVER_MODE=(TYPE=SELECT)(METHOD=BASIC)(RETRIES=20)(DELAY=1))))

Enthusiast

I was able to get my Oracle dbase to show up in the navigation pane on the left (Data Source Explorer) but it does not show up in the "Connection Profile" in the SQL editor.  I've tried closing the application and restarting but it still does not show up.  I've browsed the forums for similar issues and the online documentation but have not found anyone with the same issue.  Any idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance. 

Martie

Enthusiast

Please disregard my previous response.  I found the solution in the "Tools" section that Ms. Grimmer supports. 

Martie

Hi Martie,

Am pretty much in the same situation, my connection profile doesn't show me the connections though I am able to connect and object browser show the schema/objects.  What am I doing wrong?

Enthusiast

If you want to create Oracle connection in TD Studio you need to enable Oracle connection profile.

Try Menu Windows/Preferences

section Teradata Datatools Preferences/New Profile Connection Types

There you can activate connection type for Oracle/DB2/MS SQL Server/Generic JDBC.