Teradata Studio Express V14.10 java.lang.Long cannot be cast to java.lang.Integer

Teradata Studio

Teradata Studio Express V14.10 java.lang.Long cannot be cast to java.lang.Integer

We recently had some user start receiving the error

'An internal error occured during: "Loading Core provider".

java.lang.Long cannot be cast to java.lang.Integer

They get this when they are expanding the schema list in the Data Source Explorer of TD Studio or Express.

I reviewed a post by fgrimmer that this was a known issue in v14 and is resolved in v15.  While moving everyont over to v15 is not out of the question, it will take some time in our organization.  Can someone explain to me what causes this error and if there is a way around it?  It appears to only be happening to specific users and just started yesterday. 

We are seeing it on Studio 14.02 and Studio Express 14.00 / 14.10, across Win XP, Win 7 and Server 2008.

Thanks for any help!

2 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata Studio Express V14.10 java.lang.Long cannot be cast to java.lang.Integer

The reason is that in Teradata 14.10 the database column holding various objects' Access Count was change from an INTEGER to a BIGINT. Studio Express was reading the objects' access count and storing them as an Integer (as the values were at the time). When it became a BIGINT, the value could not be stored as an Integer. Thus, the "cannot be cast" error.

Are you sure you see the problem with Studio or Studio Express 14.10? That is the version that the change was made to deal with the change in the database table. 

This problem should only occur when using Studio/Studio Express 14.02 or earlier and connecting to a Teradata 14.10 or later system.

There's not much you can to to get around the problem other than installing the version of Studio Express that supports the version of the Teradata Database you're connecting to.

Re: Teradata Studio Express V14.10 java.lang.Long cannot be cast to java.lang.Integer

Thanks for the feedback.  I will reach out to the users to confirm the versions they provided were accurate and go from there.