Regards Sean

12 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata Studios Default Time Display

Sean, Time is returned as a long. You can cast it as a Varchar, for example:

select (cast(time as varchar(8));

Teradata Employee

The Teradata Database Reference / "SQL Functions, Operators, Expressions, and Predicates" says the following: 

TIME versus CURRENT_TIME

TIME is deprecated. Use the ANSI SQL:2011 compliant CURRENT_TIME function instead.

The issue is that the deprecated TIME function returns a FLOAT value, which needs to be CAST to VARCHAR as Francine noted, in order to obtain a formatted time display.

In contrast, the CURRENT_TIME function returns a SQL TIME value, so the proper time formatting will occur automatically.

Enthusiast

Thank you both, any ideas on this becoming a prefence which can be altered by the user in the future?

I do a select statement before doing inserts to check the data before going through with the statement, from what you guys are telling is to see the time correctly I always have to cast the time as varchar? that rather annoying considering SQL Assistant always bought back the current time formatted.

Teradata Employee

My recommendation is that you use the CURRENT_TIME function instead of the TIME function. The Teradata Database documentation indicates that the TIME function is deprecated, so you should stop using it, and switch to using the CURRENT_TIME function.

Enthusiast

when using current_time however it comes out weird 

eg

16:23:06+00:00 

is a preference thing? 

Teradata Employee

There isn't currently a preference in Studio for removing the time zone when displaying Time values. There is an option to format Dates in the Result Set Viewer. We could add a preference for time values as well. Is that what you are looking for?

Enthusiast

yes it is

Teradata Employee

Hi Francine,

I think that adding a preference for time values in the Result Set Viewer should be very usefull.

Thanks

Francesco

Teradata Employee

I have opened a JIRA for this improvement.