Teradata preferences for new connection profile type missing

Teradata Studio

Teradata preferences for new connection profile type missing

Hi,

I'd like to connect to a Oracle database using Teradata Studio 15.0.01 but I'm missing the tab "New Profile Connection Types" in "Window" - "Preferences" - "Teradata Datatools Preferences".

Any ideas?

Regards

Daniel

12 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata preferences for new connection profile type missing

Daniel, The "New Profile Connection Types" preference page was added in Studio 15.10 release. But that being said, Oracle connections profiles can be created using Studio 15.00. Right click on the Database Connections folder in the Data Source Explorer and choose New... option. Oracle is in the list of Connection Profile Types.

Hi,

Thanx for your anwer. It's correct what you say but after creating a oracle database connection, I can't select it in the list of connection profiles although I can see it in the database connection list. Without a connection profile, I can't use the SQL Editor.

Regards

Daniel

Teradata Employee

Daniel, You need to open your Oracle SQL file using the SQL File Editor instead of Teradata SQL Editor. Select your Oracle SQL file in the Project Explorer, right click and choose Open With>SQL File Editor. 

@fgrimmer: Thank you for helping me in another thread. I am here because i have a question related to running  Oracle  Queries using TD Studio Express.

I understand that to run Oracle Query we need to use SQL file Editor Instead of Teradata SQL editor. I can able to Open SQL File Editor  in the Project Explorer, right click and choose Open With>SQL File Editor but my question is is there any option to enable it in File tab.  Currently i see ( New SQL Editor ) in file tabl which is nothing but Teradata SQL Editor.

Example: Lets say i have created Orale connection and i am ready to rock with Oracle. If i want to open SQL file Editor with out going Project Explorer, right click and choose Open With>SQL File then how i should do it.  

It will help me if i dont have any saved file but still i want to run Oracle SQL query from TD Express using SQL File Editor.  

It is a two step process if i don`t able to open SQL File Editor.

Currently what i am doing is i will create a dummy file and save it. Then i go to Project Explorer, right click and choose Open With>SQL File and run oracle Query.

Please let me know if there is any workaround is available to open SQL File Editor in a single click.

Teradata Employee

Soumya, We have a JIRA opened to better handle the 'Open SQL Editor' toolbar option in the DSE. It should detect the connection type of the connection profile selected in the DSE and open the best SQL Editor, either Teradata SQL Editor or SQL File Editor. We are working on this issue.

Thank you. It helps.

Francine, wondering what's the status of the JIRA?

Also, I just set up a connection to an Oracle database for the first time.  I got the connection to work, and I can connect and run a sample contents the right-click menu against a table in Data Source Explorer.  However, when I open up an SQL Editor window and select the Connection Profile in the editor, the status is always "Disconnected, Auto Commit".  It seems like I can't execute any SQL from the window at all.  When I right click in the editor window and go to Set Connection Info and select the same profile, I get a Connection Error box that says "Error occurred while trying to establish connection, Reason: Failed to get reusable connection by : WFPROD:WFPROD".  Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this?  Thanks in advance.

Teradata Employee

Steven The JIRA is still open. We hope to have this resolved soon but I don't have a commit date. Make sure you open as a SQL File Editor for Oracle.  If you already have the SQL file in your Project Explorer, then right click and use Open With>SQL File Editor. If you are creating a new SQL file. Use the File>New Wizards>SQL File and choose your Oracle connection type.

From what I can tell, there's no way to open a new SQL (non-Teradata) file.

There is no entry such as File>New Wizards>SQL File.  I can get to New Wizards, but there's no SQL File.  From what I can tell, the only way to get a SQL File Editor window to open (as opposed to Teradata SQL Editor) is to create a dummy file in the Project Explorer, then open it via right clicking and going to Open With>SQL File Editor.  This is what Soumya mentioned in her post from March.

I'm running Studio Express 5.11.