Teradata session for volatile tables

Teradata Studio

Teradata session for volatile tables

What constitutes a session for volatile tables.  I would naturally have thought that when opening multiple tabs that are connected to the same connection profile, volatile tables would be shared among them all.  However, that doesn't always seem to be the case.  If I create a volatile table in one tab (editor window), it's not always accessible in another tab.

3 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata session for volatile tables

Each SQL Editor tab uses its own connection/session. This allows for concurrent execution. You must perform your tasks on the volatile table within the same editor that the table is created.

There's an option in preferences labeled "Persist the target connection information when executing multiple SQL files".  Does this persist the same connection across multiple tabs?

How about "SQL file is default opened after creation"?  After opening (thus creating) a SQL editor window, isn't it automatically a SQL file?

I couldn't find help topics for these.

Teradata Employee

Yes, it should persist the same connection across multiple files. Although I am finding an issue when I try this. I will look into it further, but that it what it is supposed to do. 

If the second option is unchecked, then it should create an empty file and not open it in an editor when you use the SQL File Wizard to create your SQL file. Yes, files that have the .sql extension are assumed to be SQL Files. You can have or create other file types in your Project, such as .txt, .xls, .xml and those can be opened in the same space as the SQL Editor.