Terdata Studio - Connection to Hive - Database is not listing

Teradata Studio
Enthusiast

Terdata Studio - Connection to Hive - Database is not listing

system type : 64-bit OS

Memory : 4 GB

TD Studio version : Teradata Studio nt-x8664 15.10.00.04 - TERADATA_STUDIO_1510_X64_V1_INSTALL

Hadoop Distribution : Hortonworks 2.3.4

Connection profile : Hadoop Hortonworks

Problem statement : Connection is successful. However it's not listing any database in Hive

Description : Teradata Studio (15.10.00.04) is able to make a connection to Hortonworks HDP 2.3.4.However we are not able to see any database/tables under hive though particular user id has all access. From hadoop i'm able to see database and tables using that particular id. Therefore user id will not be a problem.

we are using Hadoop Hortonworks connection profile with TDCH, JDBC , SQL-H option enabled. however TDCH is not configured in hadoop yet. Without TDCH, I am not able to make connection with JDBC alone. 

12 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Terdata Studio - Connection to Hive - Database is not listing

Teradata Workspace Log:

2016-06-29 13:55:18,872 Teradata Datatools [Worker-8] ERROR c.teradata.datatools.hadoop.catalog - null

java.lang.NullPointerException: null

at com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.common.OozieHadoopService.getHadoopSystemSpec(OozieHadoopService.java:172) ~[com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.catalog_15.10.2.201508101601.jar:na]

at com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.common.HadoopServices.getOldConnectionSpec(HadoopServices.java:370) ~[com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.catalog_15.10.2.201508101601.jar:na]

at com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.common.HadoopServices.getNewConnectionSpec(HadoopServices.java:310) ~[com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.catalog_15.10.2.201508101601.jar:na]

at com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.common.HadoopServices.getHadoopSystemSpec(HadoopServices.java:161) ~[com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.catalog_15.10.2.201508101601.jar:na]

at com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.catalog.WebHCatService.getDatabases(WebHCatService.java:223) ~[com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.catalog_15.10.2.201508101601.jar:na]

at com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.catalog.HadoopCatalogDatabase.loadSchemas(HadoopCatalogDatabase.java:181) [com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.catalog_15.10.2.201508101601.jar:na]

at com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.catalog.HadoopCatalogDatabase.getSchemas(HadoopCatalogDatabase.java:154) [com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.catalog_15.10.2.201508101601.jar:na]

at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.sqm.server.internal.ui.explorer.providers.content.layout.vnode.ServerExplorerVNodeContentProviderNav.displaySchemaNodeChildren(ServerExplorerVNodeContentProviderNav.java:129) [org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.sqm.server.ui_1.1.101.v201212070447.jar:na]

at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.sqm.server.internal.ui.explorer.providers.content.layout.AbstractOnDemandContentProviderNav.getChildren(AbstractOnDemandContentProviderNav.java:169) [org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.sqm.server.ui_1.1.101.v201212070447.jar:na]

at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.sqm.server.internal.ui.explorer.providers.content.layout.AbstractOnDemandContentProviderNav.getChildren(AbstractOnDemandContentProviderNav.java:243) [org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.sqm.server.ui_1.1.101.v201212070447.jar:na]

at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.sqm.server.internal.ui.explorer.providers.content.layout.AbstractLayoutProviderNav.getChildren(AbstractLayoutProviderNav.java:85) [org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.sqm.server.ui_1.1.101.v201212070447.jar:na]

at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.sqm.server.internal.ui.explorer.providers.content.impl.ServerExplorerContentProviderNav.load(ServerExplorerContentProviderNav.java:153) [org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.sqm.server.ui_1.1.101.v201212070447.jar:na]

at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.sqm.server.internal.ui.explorer.loading.LoadingJob.run(LoadingJob.java:43) [org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.sqm.server.ui_1.1.101.v201212070447.jar:na]

at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54) [org.eclipse.core.jobs_3.6.1.v20141014-1248.jar:na]

Teradata Employee

@kchinnad, Can you upgrade Studio to the latest 15.11 release. We have added additional error checking for Hadoop connections which may help to understand what the problem is. Also, you do not need TDCH to run JDBC queries. 

Enthusiast

@fgrimmer , Thanks for your response and greatly appreciate your support & guidance on this. In our organisation , we have only this version 15.10.00.04 available at the moment. It will take a long time and need to go through lot of process to get the latest version. I'll try to get that as well. In the meantime , I'm not able to proceed to use only JDBC alone in connection profile. Along with TDCH , same JDBC details works fine. To put it short , when i use Hadoop hortonworks connection profile , it makes it mandatory for me to use TDCH option too. With JDBC alone , it does not connect at all. To provide additional background, i'm using IP address in the place of WebHCat hostname , portname , user name. Shout it be Hostname only ? Thanks.

Teradata Employee

@kchinad, I am confused as to why you need to enter TDCH connection information? When you create the Hortonworks Connection with just JDBC and press Test Connection, is it successful? If not, what error is coming back?

Enthusiast

Hi Fgrimmer, 

Thanks. My intention is to run only SQL queries against Hive tables that's all. when i create the Hortonworks Connection with just JDBC alone ( without selecting TDCH ) and press Test Connection, it's not successful. below is the error message. However same JDBC details when i enter along with TDCH connection option enabled, JDBC is successful.

Even if the JDBC is successful with TDCH option , i'm not getting database/tables list. 

I tried multiple options and got error message for all of them and posted the same.

Option-1: Tried with hostname for JDBC Tab

Error Log:

Workspace Log :

2016-07-02 14:46:32,464 Teradata Datatools [main] INFO  com.teradata.studio - Teradata Studio Framework Version 15.10.4.201508101601

2016-07-02 14:46:55,279 Teradata Datatools [main] ERROR c.t.datatools.dtp.teradataview - DTS0130 Teradata object not associated with a connection profile

2016-07-02 14:47:49,365 Teradata Datatools [Worker-2] ERROR com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.hive - Unable to logon to the WebHCat Server

GUI Log:

java.lang.Exception: Unable to connect to WebHCat server:http://hklxxxxxx:10000/templeton/v1/ddl/database

at com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.hive.connectivity.HiveConnection.openWebHCatConnection(HiveConnection.java:450)

at com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.hive.connectivity.HiveConnection.createConnection(HiveConnection.java:190)

at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.DriverConnectionBase.internalCreateConnection(DriverConnectionBase.java:105)

at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.DriverConnectionBase.open(DriverConnectionBase.java:54)

at com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.hive.connectivity.HiveConnection.open(HiveConnection.java:144)

at com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.hive.connectivity.HivePingFactory.createWebHCatConnection(HivePingFactory.java:51)

at com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.hive.connectivity.PingWebHCatJob.createTestConnection(PingWebHCatJob.java:30)

at com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.hive.connectivity.PingJob.run(PingJob.java:42)

at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

Option-2: tried with IP address

Error Log:

java.lang.Exception: Unable to connect to WebHCat server:http://10.21.xxx.xxx:10000/templeton/v1/ddl/database

at com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.hive.connectivity.HiveConnection.openWebHCatConnection(HiveConnection.java:450)

at com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.hive.connectivity.HiveConnection.createConnection(HiveConnection.java:190)

at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.DriverConnectionBase.internalCreateConnection(DriverConnectionBase.java:105)

at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.DriverConnectionBase.open(DriverConnectionBase.java:54)

at com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.hive.connectivity.HiveConnection.open(HiveConnection.java:144)

at com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.hive.connectivity.HivePingFactory.createWebHCatConnection(HivePingFactory.java:51)

at com.teradata.datatools.hadoop.hive.connectivity.PingWebHCatJob.createTestConnection(PingWebHCatJob.java:30)

Option : 3 First created connenction profile with TDCH,JDBC connection too.then disabled TDCH , i tried to connect only with JDBC & WebHAct option

Error Message:

java.lang.Exception: Unable to connect to WebHCat server:http://xxxxx:10000/templeton/v1/ddl/database

Teradata Employee

@kchinad, Is it possible that your username or password for Hive is bad? Have you tried hdfs and no password? Our systems have username guest and password guest-password. Not sure if that is standard on all systems?

Teradata Employee

@kchinad, Can you verify thru Ambari that your JDBC port number is correct? Can you run Hive commands on your Hadoop system?

Teradata Employee

@kchinad, I am wondering if you have a DNS issue. Are you using a Hortonworks sandbox?

Enthusiast

Hi Fgrimmer,

My port number is correct. I verified it in ambari. I'm able to run hive queries via Hive command line. I'm using banks development server set up by hortonworks team.

Please let me know if there are anymore information required from my side. Thanks.