Transition to Studio

Teradata Studio
Enthusiast

Transition to Studio

First, I love Studio, just to get that out of the way.

We use SQL Asst and are transitioning to Studio now.  We have a few things we want to do..

• Pre-Configure Install of Studio ( I have looked at the transitioning document and I still can see how)
    • Database connections filled out and ready to connect.
    • Project Explorer filled in with some common SQL files we use.
    • Change the workspace directorty from C:\Workspace to C:\TeradataWorkspace.
    • Basically we would like to be able to pre-configure things about Studio at installation.
  • Connect to other databases (like SQL Server)
    • We need to use integrated authentication.  We check the box 'Use integrated authentication', but we get an error stating the driver is not configured for integerated...  We have moved the sqljdbc_auth dll around, put it in the Teradata Studio directory, and added it to the Windows PATH, but still no go.

Kael

6 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Transition to Studio

Kael, I will try to respond to your questions above. I am not sure if you were referring to Studio or Studio Express, but the response applies to both. The workspace and template names are different.

• Pre-Configure Studio
    • Database Connections - During the Install of Studio, the user can provide a TeradataStudioDataSources.config file that defines your connection profiles. There is a template config file (TeradataStudioDataSources_template) in the downloaded zip.  (Refer to the Installation Guide that is available on the download page) Connection profile can also be exported and imported into your workspace. In the Data Source Explorer, you can choose the Import toolbar option and provide an connectionProfile.xml file that was exported from the Data Source Explorer previously.
    • Project Explorer filled in with some common SQL files we use, 
    • Change the workspace directorty from C:\Workspace to C:\TeradataWorkspace.
    • Basically we would like to be able to pre-configure things about Studio at installation
      • These 3 questions all involve information that is stored in the Studio workspace. You can specify a different location for your workspace by providing the -data <location> option when you launch Studio or Studio Express. The connection profiles information is also stored in the workspace so this is another option instead of providing a DataSources.config file during the install.
  • Connect to other databases (like SQL Server)
    • It sounds like you create a SQL Server connection profile but don't have the correct JDBC driver? What version are you using? What sqljdbc.jar did you specify?
Teradata Employee

Kael, I also wanted to mention that we are working on allowing more of the preferences to be configured at install time.

Enthusiast

Thanks for responding Francine.  We are converting to Studio for everyone right now.  Express may be more approiate for users that don't need or should have access to all the functionality of Studio...  but anyway,  I will keep working on how we install Studio/Express.

The SQL Server jar is sqljdbc42.jar.  The driver template I used in Studio was SQL Server 2008 JDBC.  I guess I don't know what the template is doing or how to install a more updated template into Studio.

I am able to connect to SQL Server with and ETL username/password.  The SQL Server DBA wants USERS to use integrated authentication. 

The integrated authentication method does work using ODBC.

Any ideas would be great.

Kael

Teradata Employee

Kael, I found this mentioned on an Eclipse Bugzilla page regarding SQL Server integrated authentication:

They can set the "java.library.path" property to the location of the  "sqljdbc_auth.dll" file.

Refer to "Connecting with Integrated Authentication" section at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms378428.aspx for more details.

Let me know if this works.

Enthusiast

Thank you for your help.  I did try to set the java.library.path.  I also set the PATH of my windows pc to point at the file, and actually move the dll file to the Teradata Studio directory.  Nothing seemed to work.

I will keep trying things and update this thread if I nave any success.

Thank you for your help again.

Kael

Teradata Employee

Kael, You can also set a runtime java variable inside the TeradataStudio.ini file. Add it to the end of the file, below the -Djava.util.arrays.uselegacyMergeSort=true.

For example:

-Djava.util.Arrays.useLegacyMergeSort=true

-Djava.library.path=C:\Microsoft JDBC Driver 4.0 for SQL Server\sqljdbc_<version>\enu\auth\x86