Unable to connect to the database using Teradata Studio Express.

Teradata Studio
Enthusiast

Unable to connect to the database using Teradata Studio Express.

Hi,

I have installed the Teradata express 14 edition using vmware. I was able to setup the connection using Gnome Terminal, however I am unable to connect to the database using the Teradata Studio Express. 

I have tried using the same creditials as used in the Gnome Terminal for bteq which is :

• logon 197.0.0.1/dbc
  • username: dbc
  • pwd: dbc

can you please help me with what credentials can i use to connect from the studio express to the database ??

Also, which user can i use to create tables and other database objects ? Dbc currently does not allow me to create tables in teradata.

Thanks,

Rohit

13 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Unable to connect to the database using Teradata Studio Express.

Rohit, I assume you are trying to run Studio Express inside the VM? You should be able to provide the same IP address (197.0.0.1) without the /dbc, then username dbc and password dbc. User DBC should have the permissions to create database objects or to give permission to other users to create objects.

I have installed the virtual machine in windows. The IP address of 197.0.0.1 did not work for me as well. BUT recollecting that the LOOPBACK Adapter for windows is  127.0.0.1 I tried it and it worked successfully for me.

Hi i installed teradata studio in my windows and tried to connect to teradata database in VM machine but the ping failed i tried 127.0.0.1 which is the ip of local host it didnt work out.can anyone please help out what iam doing wrong

Teradata Employee

@juvenita, If you are running Studio outside the VM, you need to find the IP address of the VM. You can open a DOS window in your VM and run ifconfig to see the IP address, eth0. Here is a comment from someone posted on Cloud Computing Forum:

------------------------------

run the virtual machine and open a commandline and execute:

ifconfig eth0 | sed -n '/inet addr:/s/.*inet addr:\([^ ]\+\)\s.*/\1/p'

that is the ip address you need to provide on your host computer to connect to the VM's db instance.

username/password for db is dbc/dbc

--------------------------------------------------

Enthusiast

Dear @fgrimmer,

I have installed VM but I'm unable to ping local host in it (both 127.0.0.1 and 197.0.0.1); During the first launch I was able to successfully connect it with 127.0.0.1; But now its failed. Please help.

Enthusiast

Adding more details.. Its TDExpress14.0.3_Sles10_4GB, 64 bit

Enthusiast

I'm getting a warning message like DB is crashed.

Senior Supporter

Hi Sakthi,

First, make sure that the dbms is running.

From a Gnome terminal window try the following command:

pdestate -a

This will give you the status of both pde and the dbms. I don't have a system to try this on right now, but if everything is ok then the final message will say (something like) "system is operational - users are logged on" or "system is quiesced" (no users are logged on.

Start with that and see what happens.

Cheers,

Dave

Ward Analytics Ltd - information in motion
www: http://www.ward-analytics.com
Enthusiast

Dear Dave,

Its DOWN/HARDSTOP status. But when I'm trying to start the dbms its saying rdbms is crashed or session reset. Recovery in progress. Its in the same state for almost more than a hour.