Unable to create Teradata connection Profile on mac 10.12

Teradata Studio
Enthusiast

Unable to create Teradata connection Profile on mac 10.12

I get the error below:

- I have installed the Java SE Development Kit 8u121, as recommended on - http://downloads.teradata.com/download/tools/teradata-studio-express page

- Another challenge I am facing is while setting up connection properties

- Database Server name

- User name{Domain]

- Password

I have tried a few combinations thus far, as suggested in other posts but nothing seems to work. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Error details:

java.sql.SQLException: [Teradata JDBC Driver] [TeraJDBC 16.00.00.23] [Error 1277] [SQLState 08S01] Login timeout for Connection to 192.168.160.139 Sat Feb 04 17:04:08 CST 2017 socket orig=192.168.160.139 cid=26592f3a sess=0 java.net.SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out  at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)  at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:350)  at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:206)  at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:188)  at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)  at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:589)  at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDNetworkIOIF$ConnectThread.run(TDNetworkIOIF.java:1229) 
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.util.ErrorFactory.makeDriverJDBCException(ErrorFactory.java:95)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.util.ErrorFactory.makeDriverJDBCException(ErrorFactory.java:70)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.util.ErrorFactory.makeIoJDBCException(ErrorFactory.java:208)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.util.ErrorAnalyzer.analyzeIoError(ErrorAnalyzer.java:59)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDNetworkIOIF.createSocketConnection(TDNetworkIOIF.java:162)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDNetworkIOIF.<init>(TDNetworkIOIF.java:141)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.GenericTeradataConnection.getIO(GenericTeradataConnection.java:129)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.GenericLogonController.run(GenericLogonController.java:100)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.TDSession.<init>(TDSession.java:209)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdk6.JDK6_SQL_Connection.<init>(JDK6_SQL_Connection.java:36)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdk6.JDK6ConnectionFactory.constructSQLConnection(JDK6ConnectionFactory.java:25)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.ConnectionFactory.createConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:179)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.ConnectionFactory.createConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:169)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.TeraDriver.doConnect(TeraDriver.java:235)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.TeraDriver.connect(TeraDriver.java:161)
	at com.teradata.datatools.dtp.connectivity.db.teradata.TeradataJDBCConnection.makeConnection(TeradataJDBCConnection.java:280)
	at com.teradata.datatools.dtp.connectivity.db.teradata.TeradataJDBCConnection.createConnection(TeradataJDBCConnection.java:122)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.DriverConnectionBase.internalCreateConnection(DriverConnectionBase.java:105)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.DriverConnectionBase.open(DriverConnectionBase.java:54)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.drivers.jdbc.JDBCConnection.open(JDBCConnection.java:96)
	at com.teradata.datatools.dtp.connectivity.db.teradata.TeradataPingFactory.createConnection(TeradataPingFactory.java:36)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionFactoryProvider.createConnection(ConnectionFactoryProvider.java:83)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionProfile.createConnection(ConnectionProfile.java:359)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.PingJob.createTestConnection(PingJob.java:76)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.PingJob.run(PingJob.java:59)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)
Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
	at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:350)
	at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:206)
	at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:188)
	at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)
	at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:589)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDNetworkIOIF$ConnectThread.run(TDNetworkIOIF.java:1229)
3 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Unable to create Teradata connection Profile on mac 10.12

The 'login timeout' error you are getting can indicate that there is no response from the Teradata Database IP address you entered. Can you verify that you Teradata Database is up?

Enthusiast

I think I am missing something here. Does this mean..I need to download teradata database separately ? How do I download teradata database that will work with the studio express ?

Junior Supporter

Teradata is a machine, not an instance running on a machine (grossly simplified). To connect, you need a machine. The easiest way is to download Teradata Express for VMware. One you have the VM running, determine the IP address. The root password is "root".  To connect to the VM using JDBC, use the VM IP address for the server and DBC for the user Id, password DBC (I don't know if caps matter). DBC is the "root" database user. All powerful. I suggest you read the TD documentation to go further. 

I'm posting this because the links to the user guide on the TD Express page seem to be broken.