Unable to launch Teradata Studio Express

Teradata Studio
Enthusiast

Unable to launch Teradata Studio Express

31 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Unable to launch Teradata Studio Express

Can you provide more information? What version did you install? 32-bit or 64-bit? What version of JRE? What is the problem when you launch?

Enthusiast

Sorry , my post got submitted before I could add details.

I have installed  - TDExpress14.10_Sles11_40GB - on VMware ( Host OS - Windows7 ) &  was able to connect to Teradata bteq through Linux Terminal ( i.e .logon 127.0.0.1/dbc -->> dbc ). Then I downloaded TeradataStudioExpress__linux_x86_64.14.10.00.00-1.tar.gz & followed instructions for 'Linux install' mentioned on - http://downloads.teradata.com/download/tools/teradata-studio-express exactly.

When I run 'rpm -qa TeradataStudioExpress' ; I get   'TeradataStudioExpress 14.10.00.00 -1' , so I am guessing Teradata Studio  has been installed rightly.

Its installed at /opt/teradata/TeradataStudioExpress/TeradataStudioExpress where I can see workspace dir as well.

Now , when I click on TeradataStudioExpress icon (.exe) , a pop-up yellowish window appears ( as if TeradataStudioExpress opening is in progress) ,but after 30 seconds it goes off the screen & nothing more.

Can you please help me to know ,if I missed some setting which is preventing TeradataStudioExpress client  OR if I am going wrong while accessing TeradataStudioExpress ?     ( I tried re-installing same TeradataStudioExpress setup again as well)

I basically wanted SQL Assistant type client through which I can play with Teradata.

Really thanks for your prompt reply & for Teradata Express.

Teradata Employee

Can you look to see if a configuration.log file is created in the configuration directory of the install or any error message in the .log file in your workspace /.metadata directory.   Just to clarify, you are running 64-bit JRE in your VM?  Can you run Studio Express outside your VM and connection to TD Express system?

Enthusiast

java  runtime env is - 1.6.0_43

Enthusiast

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007fffe95dbdf1, pid=6742, tid=140737328940816
#
# JRE version: 6.0_43-b01
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (20.14-b01 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C [libpangoft2-1.0.so.0+0x18df1] pango_ot_tag_from_script+0x83f1
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
# http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#

This is code snippet from .log file created. So it seems I am  running 64-bit JRE in your VM. So this error is related to JRE?  Although Icouldnt find any meningful error message.

Should I try to install TeradataStudio on host OS & try to connect to VMware-Teradata express? I will try that ...

Teradata Employee

This error was reported in this forum. It appears to be related to the JRE inside the VM and something has gotten corrupt. Yes, I would try running Studio Express outside the Vm and connect to Teradata Express. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Enthusiast

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.

In 2nd attemp I was able to install Teradata Studio on Host OS.  I followed instructions as mentioned  at http://developer.teradata.com/database/articles/teradata-express-network-configuration & changed hosts & resolv.conf at /etc/.

Now  I am trying to establish a connection from Studio to VM-TD Express image. I am creating 'New Teradata Connection Profile'.But I am not sure what 'database server name'  should I try out. I attempted with few alias names from hosts/host.conf/resolv.conf .

I searched several posts here but I couldnt figure it out exactly.  Can you please guide me here OR point meto the post which can explain connection testing process. Sorry for the newbie question but I am naive to networking/administration.

Teradata Employee

Find out the IP address of your VM and use that for the Database Server Host.

Enthusiast

Thanks. I was able to test connection after adding cop entry in,

1.  /etc/hosts in VMWare

2. C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts on Host OS