Using SQL History tab slows Studio to a crawl

Teradata Studio

Using SQL History tab slows Studio to a crawl

Whenever I interact with the SQL History tab in any way, it causes both Studio and Studio express to slow to a crawl on my machine. The application will become unusable for minutes at a time. This happens if there is even one entry in the SQL History tab. Since I have to use the SQL History tab to figure out why code didn't run, this is a serious problem for me. 

I'm using a Macbook Pro running Mountain Lion. Teradata Studio version is 14.02.0.201302060329. Java version is 1.6.0_51

Tags (2)
31 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Using SQL History tab slows Studio to a crawl

We have seen issues with Studio and Studio Express becoming slow when a query has been run and many more than the default limit of 2000 rows are displayed in the Result Set Viewer. Have you by any chance run a query with a very large result set and had the entire result set displayed?

You've said the problem is when interacting with the SQL History. If the history tab is not displayed, is the rest of the application responsive? The slowing occurs only after the history tab is displayed?

I found that disconnecting all connections helps speed things up as far as saving SQL editor files.  Terminating Teradata Studio after that and starting back up brings back good performance.  Seems like its doing a lotof housekeeping (memory leaks, paging?)

Has there been any update to this?  I am having the same problem and it really slows my development process.

Teradata Employee

Rajiv, What version of Studio are you using? The original post was a couple of year ago. Since, we have upgraded to a later version of Eclipse as the base for Studio, as well as, increased the heap space allocation.

Teradata Employee

This is still happening today on version 15.10.01.  I have just 36 records in the history and it's slowed to a crawl.  I've already upped the memory to 2048Mb and have turned off all auto-complete aids.  There's also a problem, perhaps it's related, that on some (large?) queries it can take a very long time just to start the submit.  the delay is between pressing F5 and the spinning wait icon in the bottom right corner appearing.

I love the tool as it's very powerful once you start exploring the options, but man is it tought to work through these slow downs.  Running on a TD issued Mac Book pro - 2015

Teradata Employee

Jason, What version of Mac OSX and JRE are you running?

Hi

I have same issue with my TS on Mac.

Here are my env.

------------------

Teradata Studio version: 15.10.10.201511052035

Jre version: 1.8.0_65

MAC OS Version: 10.11.3

------------------

It looks like if there is failed sql in the history, TS tried to refresh something in the backend.

It goes back normal when I clean up the error statement in the SQL History.

Hope those helps.

Bob Wang

Teradata Employee

Thanks for the input. We will try to recreate the issue and get it resolved.

Teradata Employee

@superwyb, How many entries are in your SQL History?