Where to see table created in Teradata Studio

Teradata Studio
Enthusiast

Where to see table created in Teradata Studio

Is there any one using Teradata Studio and encountering the following. 

The connectivity is via JDBC. 

I have a schema test and user id test. After I created table under the schema test , I could not see my table from the Explorer. I need to highlight the table and import data.

What I can see is . Where is my table?

-Profile name

--test

----databases

------All

------bim_services

------console

------Crashdumps

------DBC

8 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Where to see table created in Teradata Studio

You have to expand the Data Source Explorer a couple of more layers:

-Profile name

--test

----databases

------All

------bim_services

------test

--------Indexes

--------Macros

--------Stored Procedures

--------Tables

----------atable

----------tablejustcreated

If you created the table by running the CREATE TABLE SQL in the SQL Editor, you might need to use the Refresh context menu item on the Tables node of the tree in order to see the newly created table.

Enthusiast

It may be that you have created the table  and pressed the button, but  it errored out and never got created too. Try to refresh.

You can also double check by using

select databasename,tablename from dbc.tables where tablename='your-tablename -here'

Once you see that it is there in Result set viewer, search for it in the explorer by expanding the Data source explorer, one by one level.

Enthusiast

So frastrated.

1. I login with user PMR72292999738 and created table W01SPM_CAL.

I could execute the following in the Editor.

SELECT * FROM PMR72292999738.W01SPM_CAL;
  2. From the Data Source explorer, I could see this levels. But I do not have idea where is the table. I could see the table from ODBC tool(TDSA).

-Profile name

--PMR72292999738

----databases

------All

------bim_services

------......(NO PMR72292999738 even I re-login.)
  3. What does the level mean?

PMR72292999738 under profile name is database or schema or user?

Any help?

Enthusiast

select databasename,tablename from dbc.tables where tablename='W01SPM_CAL'

have the correct output. 

pmr72292999738    ,W01SPM_CAL                                                  

The tool version is 15.

Teradata Employee

The default setting of the preference "Show Databases and Users in Hierarchical Display" is to have the Data Source Explorer show databases that have a database other than DBC as its owner as a subnode of the database that owns it. You can see and set the preference by selecting the Preferences menu item in the Window menu then expanding the Teradata Datatools Preferences category and selecting the Data Source Explorer Load Preferences. It's the first item in the "What to display" section.

Could it be that you have that preference set to its default and the database is owned by another database other than DBC? If so, you can expand the database that owns the pmr72292999738 and it will show up as a node under the owner database.

Or you can uncheck the preference "Show Databases and Users in Hierarchical Display" and all the databases in the system will be shown.

Customers want this behavior by default because their systems often have a very large number of databases and the time to load the information that is collected was taking longer than they wanted to wait. Also, this is the behavior of the SQL Assistant tool.

Enthusiast

Chuckbert, Thank you very much for helping me find the tables. As I am a new guy for Teradata but I have knowledge of Oracle and DB2. So, I want to ask more questions for me to better understan the TD structure if you have time to answer(I won't ask more questions in this post :)).

1. If I login with user pmr72292999738(Note the string 'pmr' is lower case), I could see the following hierarcchical.

-TD14

--PMR72292999738

----databases

------All

------bim_services

------console

------Crashdumps

------DBC

------pmr72292999738

---------Tables

--------------RickyTable

My understanding is that TD has 2 types of Container (Database). One is user(such as DBC or pmr72292999738) and the other one is database. Their properties is similar. So, why we have this 2 types of database and what's their difference.

An user should have a related schema? Here user pmr72292999738's schema is PMR72292999738. Why we could see lots of databases under this schema is because the user pmr72292999738 is able to access,right?

2. Each database has a attibute Account, I saw most of them are set to DBC, what's that meaning? 
  3. What's the top level object? In oracle, we have an instance usually called orcl. And in DB2 on Linux, we also have a default instance called db2inst1. So, what's the corresponding object name of TD top level object/instance?
  4. DBC should be a built-in user which holds the data directionary and other metadata within the instance mentioned in pont 3?, right?

Sorry for the bornig questions.

Thanks,

Ricky

Teradata Employee

Ricky,

1. A user is associated with a login profile and yes, can have nested databases. Nested databases are created using the FROM <DatabaseName> clause in the CREATE DATABASE statement. providing the owning user or database.

2. Excerpt from the Teradata Database Administration documentation:

"Accounts are used by the database to:

• Assign priority to individual sessions to manage the workload

• Monitor resource usage

• Charge for space or resources used

Teradata recommends that you specify at least one user account for each user. Users with

similar responsibilities and resource requirements should be assigned to the same account(s)

to reduce the overall number of accounts you must maintain."

3. I am not familiar with Oracle or DB2 constructs but in Teradata I believe it would be DBC.

4. Yes.

Enthusiast

Thanks for your kindly information, Fgrimmer.  :)