Why is Teradata Studio built on such an old version of Eclipse?

Teradata Studio

Why is Teradata Studio built on such an old version of Eclipse?

We've been having lots of performance and stability issues with Teredata Studio.  In looking into alternatives like Aqua Data Studio (which I know some Teradata employees use when they are in the field) but not believing that we should have to pay $500 per user for a stable and well performing tool, my first step was to download Eclipse and install the Teradata plugins.  That solution performs great and so far is more stable but is not optimal for the majority of our users though since a lot of the default interface featues get in the way and are confusing to them.  My next stab was copying the eclipse.exe file into the same folder as TeradataStudio.exe and launching it from there... WOW... way better performance and so far it seems stable, I'm uncomfortable running it this way since the features and plugins weren't meant to run with this version but it's great, I get the speed and stability of the Eclipse/Teradata plugin route with the simplified interface of Teradata Studio.  Interested in why there might be such a big performance difference, I looked into which version of Eclipse Teradata Studio is built on top of and from what I can tell it is the 3.7 release from 2011!  Is there any chance that you could rebuild it on something more recent like 4.4 (8 months old)? If that is too new, then maybe at least go with 4.3 (20 months old)? I know the desire is to have everyone use Teradata Studio instead of SQL Assistant but with the current performance of Teradata Studio it is quite a hard sell...

Thanks!

10 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Why is Teradata Studio built on such an old version of Eclipse?

Darin, Studio 15.10 will be based on Luna (Eclipse 4.4). We are planning to release Studio 15.10 the first week of April.

I look forward to it then, thanks!

Enthusiast

Francine,

Is the 15.10 release available, yet? Please share a url for downloading if so. Thank you!

Teradata Employee

Josh, We hope to have it on the download site by the end of the week. I will post the URL when it is available.

Enthusiast

Great to hear. Thanks, Francine!

Enthusiast

Thank you for the 15.10 update on OS X. Currently, I am unable to load the Preferences feature, however. Is this the right place to report bugs?

Teradata Employee

Josh,

On Windows, the Preferences menu item is in the Window menu. On the Mac, it is supposed to live in the Teradata Studio menu. Apparently our code to move it from the Window menu to the application's menu where it belongs doesn't work with the newer version of the Eclipse base. So, there is a Preferences menu item in both the Teradata Studio menu (which, as you point out, does nothing) and in the Window menu. The Window menu's instance of the Preferences item does bring up the Preferences dialog.

This forum can be used to report bugs. Customer support can be used, too.

Enthusiast

Good to know. Thanks, Charles!

Enthusiast

I have been using Teradata Studio 15.10 for a couple of weeks and a have a few issues to report:

• After adding one keyboard shortcut to Studio, I attempted to add a 2nd and the OSX System Preferences crashed when I would attempt to access the system-wide keyboard shortcuts menu. I viewed this post https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4282632 and deleted Studio 15.10 app and voíla - I could finally access keyboard shortcuts again. This is no good as I was excited about having Retina support with 15.10 finally. Also, I recovered the file out of the trash and relaunched it, attempted to launch Keyboard Shortcuts in OSX SysPrefs again and the crash persists.
  • Window management is horrid. I would be fine to revert to 15.0's style if that is possible, but there is simply no control over Query Editor, Results and History. I attempt to drag a window right/left and it lags. Once I have the windows set and I need to view full screen query editor I have to close the Results and History panes and when they reopen I have to reset everything again.
  • Too many rainbow beach balls! When I attempt to view Results in History I get the beach ball everytime.

I'm happy to email an error output for that first issue if you would like. Please let me know if I can be of any help. Thanks!