teradatastudio.ini changes for memory usage not working on 32-bit installation

Teradata Studio
Enthusiast

teradatastudio.ini changes for memory usage not working on 32-bit installation

I was given a document with recommendations for Studio with the heading

Teradata Studio 15.10 Tips for Win32

Version 201601140818

By Michael Hackerott

A recommendation is given to increase memory settings in the .ini file.  This seems to work fine on 64-bit systems, but Studio will not start if these settings are used on a 32-bit installation.  No error is given, just the application will not start.

-Xms2g

-Xmx2g

-XX:MaxPermSize=2g

-XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit

7 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: teradatastudio.ini changes for memory usage not working on 32-bit installation

Do you see a pop up message like: "Failed to create the Java Virtual Machine"? Which indicates that it can't bring up Studio with the vmarg settings. You can try reducing the values and restart Studio.

Enthusiast

Re: teradatastudio.ini changes for memory usage not working on 32-bit installation

With the memory settings at 2GB, I do not get anything.  If I reduce to 1GB, I do get the popup that you mention.

Teradata Employee

What version of the JRE are you running?

Enthusiast

1.7.0_95

Teradata Employee

I am noticing the same odd behavior with values of 3g and 2g. I am wondering if this is a JRE issue with the 32-bit version. I will try to see if anything mentioned on the support sites.

But have you found the right value for your settings and can launch Studio 32-bit version?

Enthusiast

If I use the default .ini file which has memory set to 512m the 32-bit version runs fine.  I was just trying to optimize things based on the Tips document from Teradata.  This is for a new rollout that will be packaged by our Windows deployment team.  I was testing with the new .ini settings which are to be built into the package for deployment.

Teradata Employee

Ok. Acceptable values will depend on your machine. I have also found information about max memory settings for 32-bit JRE vs 64-bit JRE. The 2g setting is at the max for 32-bit JRE and may be hitting some odd window.