JDBC Driver and mass update

Third Party Software
Enthusiast

JDBC Driver and mass update

We are using webMethods for certain near real-time ETL feeds into our Teradata system. This tool uses JDBC to connect to the Teradata system and issue single row DML operations. In working with the webMethods development team, we asked if it was possible to batch multiple transations into a single commit statement. The answer we received was that the JDBC adapter being used does not support mass updates without using a stored procedure.

I've had some limited exposure to the JDBC driver so I'm no expert, but it seems like the driver should be able to support that kind of operation. Has anyone had experience with webMethods and this kind of operation? Or even with just the JDBC driver?

Thanks,
Tags (3)
2 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: JDBC Driver and mass update

The Teradata JDBC Driver, and the Teradata Database, have supported JDBC PreparedStatement batches for several years, beginning with Teradata JDBC Driver 03.02.00.00 and Teradata Database V2R6.0, which were released in 2004.

If you are using a very old version of the Teradata JDBC Driver, and/or a very old version of the Teradata Database, then it might not be supported.

--Tom
Enthusiast

Re: JDBC Driver and mass update

Thanks. I thought it was supported, but just needed confirmation. We're using at least the Teradata JDBC Driver from TTU 12, but we might even be on 13. So if we can't do mass updates, it is probably a limitation of the webMethods application, not the JDBC driver itself.