ODBC connection problem - MS Query and Excel

Third Party Software
Teradata Employee

ODBC connection problem - MS Query and Excel

Hello!

Although this query has more to do with ODBC than Teradata, I am only posting it to see if any other users have worked around the error I have encountered.

When connecting to Teradata via Excel | Data | New Database Query, when the dialogue comes up, I enter my password, and it comes up with Connecting... After about half a minute I get an Out of Memory error, and MS Query CPU usage goes to 50% and stays there, with memory allocated of 16000KB. I have to end the process to continue.

I believe this issue has to do with my PC build and with the number of tables in our Teradata system. The problem is, a laptop with the same memory, but a laptop build, works fine and has no problems loading the tables in.

My question is has anyone come up with a successful workaround? One workaround I have found was to open a small database and then in MS Query click on Options and tick only the Tables box, so that only Table names load. When I go back in and try Teradata I can get in. This is a workaround, but I would like to find an easier one, perhaps a setting that users can use instead. Not all users will have a small database they can connect to to set the options.

I have proven that I am connecting to the database by inputting my password incorrectly. It wouldn't log me on, so I can tell it is not a Teradata issue.

Thanks!
4 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: ODBC connection problem - MS Query and Excel

In the Teradata ODBC driver configuration, Advanced options, try selecting "Custom Catalog Mode".
Teradata Employee

Thanks for that.

I assume what this does is load only what is in the connection box database, and that is what I want it to do.

Regards!

Andrew
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips. I was also having similar problems using Excel to import data from a Teradata DB using Microsoft Query.

The first link on Google search was the solution to my problems.

Fred Suggested: In the Teradata ODBC driver configuration, Advanced options, try selecting "Custom Catalog Mode".

Fred, I tried that - but now it gives me message "The user does not have any access to database <myUserId>."

Which is confusing - because

1. why is it confusing the DB (server?) with my user Id?

2. I can use the same ODBC (even after the change you suggested) to connect to the database through 'Teradata SQL Assistant'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,