ARCmain Scipting for Backups on SUSE LINUX

Tools & Utilities

ARCmain Scipting for Backups on SUSE LINUX

Hello folks,

I am reviewing some documentation and have done some research on the ability to protect my data using the Archive utility. My source of the documentaiton is here... http://www.info.teradata.com/edownload.cfm?itemid=101680007

For my situation, I need to have a few datasets (7 at most) to recover from. So given the following Archive script...

-----
LOGON DBCID/UID,PW;
ARCHIVE DATA TABLES (MYONLINEDATA) ALL,
RELEASE LOCK,
FILEDEF=(tddumps,/var/tddumps/dump.%UEN%.out);
LOGOFF;
-----

...I need to understand how the Utility Event Numbers will behave on file creation and how to use them in restore operartions?

1 - How large can these UENs get to before they are recycled?
2 - How can I use a specific UEN to perform a restore? - To note, the documentation is not 100% clear to me on how to do this when you need to select a specific file with a UEN tied to it. I knwo there are references to the VERBOSE commend that extracts a UEN for you, but it seems like by using defaults, you will always the UEN embedded in a dump file.

Sample Restrore Scripts...

-----
LOGON DBCID/UID,PW;
RESTORE DATA TABLES (MYONLINEDATA) ALL,
RELEASE LOCK,
LOGOFF;
-----

or simpler than that...

-----
LOGON DBCID/UID,PW;
RELEASE LOCK,
FILE=(tddumps);
LOGOFF;
-----

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1 REPLY

Re: ARCmain Scipting for Backups on SUSE LINUX

Folks,

I was looking a bit to deep and to literally at this. I realize now that the FILEDEF can be setup as a default run-time parameter and the UEN is a Process ID. Therefore, assuming the FILEDEF run-time parameter is setup as follows...

---
---

...and the script is executed as follows...

---
LOGON DBCID/UID,PW;
ARCHIVE DATA TABLES (MYONLINEDATA) ALL,
RELEASE LOCK,
FILE=(tddumps);
LOGOFF;
---

Then each time this is run, a file like "dump.123.out" is created under folder "/var/tddumps" assuming the UEN (Process ID) is 123 at the time the script is executed. That makes it clear on the first question I asked earlier.

PS... I am sure some of you are shaking your heads by now - but I have been exposed to this form a consultative side starting 13 hours ago.

===

Now for my second question based on the following assumption. Let's say the "/var/tddumps/" folder has the following 4 files...

- dump.123.out
- dump.456.out
- dump.789.out

When I run my Restore script below...

---
LOGON DBCID/UID,PW;
RELEASE LOCK,
FILE=(tddumps);
LOGOFF;
---

How can I specify which file to use assuming I don't want to use the last one that was created?

Please advise, as this is keeping me up real late here on the East Coast. Thanks in advance!