Cached credentials causing ABU jobs to fail?

Tools & Utilities
Enthusiast

Cached credentials causing ABU jobs to fail?

Hello,

We are running into issues with performing backups using ABU.

We are running version 14 of Teradata on 2 nodes.

The specific issue is that the jobs are failing at the initial logon with the error:

Failure 8017: The UserId, Password or Account is invalid.

When the ABU GUI is initialized, it prompts for an Administrator password; the password field is empty, and when I enter the p/w, it is accepted.

From within the GUI, selecting Task > Backup Selected Objects... results in an additional credential check.

The UserId and Password fields here are populated; when I click Connect with the cached credentials, the ABU errors:

Error 505: Query to Teradata failed with DBS error 8017: The UserId, Password or Account is invalid.

If I manually enter the correct password for the listed account and click Connect, it is accepted.

If I attempt to run a saved backup job, or create a new backup job, the job fails with the same error.

If I manually edit the saved ARC script for a saved job, and manually enter the logon credentials into the script instead of using the LOGON$ string, the job succeeds.

I have followed the directions in the ABU Installation and User Guide for re-running the ABU configuration script (pg. 21-22), but this does not seem to have corrected the ABU cached credentials. This has resulted in the creation of a new 'defaults' configuration file. However, since the password values in the file are hashed, I cannot absolutely verify that the file has the correct passwords for the listed UserID's.

Is there some other place that could be caching the credentials used by ABU, or is there something else here that I'm not seeing?

Thanks,

Mike

Tags (3)
1 REPLY
Teradata Employee

Re: Cached credentials causing ABU jobs to fail?

sounds odd

Only thing I can think of is if the password in question has a character that doesn't work with the configuration script.  I would try to avoid passwords containing dollar sign, single, or double quote characters.  Suggest test with a plain password containing just numbers and letters (first character a letter).

FYI, you should be able to rerun the configuration script targeting just the RDBMS login details with the "-au" switch

/opt/teradata/abu_service/service/bin/configure –au