Can I rollback in ANSI mode without Transient Journel?

Tools & Utilities
Enthusiast

I have a requirement to update a table...if the number of records which are updated is not matched with the intended number of records it should not commit to DB.

Is there any way to accomplish this other than using ANSI mode/Transient Journal??

Coz..ours is a very small system with 20 AMPS.
4 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Can I rollback in ANSI mode without Transient Journel?

Both Teradata and ANSI session modes use the transient journal. Both modes support transactions that may be rolled back or committed explicitly. In Teradata mode, you can use a BEGIN TRANSACTION (or BT) statement to begin a transaction; END TRANSACTION (or ET) commits the transaction, or ABORT rolls it back. In ANSI mode, a transaction begins implicitly if a transaction is not already active when a statement is executed, and you use COMMIT or ROLLBACK to terminate the transaction.
Enthusiast

Hi Jim
Thanks For the Reply...

What exactly I'm looking at is...is there any alternative method to perform ROLLBACK operation if transient Journels are not taken on target table...
Enthusiast

Hi

"What exactly I'm looking at is...is there any alternative method to perform ROLLBACK operation if transient Journels are not taken on target table... "

In Teradata, Transient Journal is not optional. So how can that be possible to do an operation without the involvement of Transient Journal in Teradata?

Thanks
Madhavi.K
Enthusiast

Madhavi is correct. Transit Journal is not an option which you can specify during transaction or CREATE TABLE. The Journal attributes which you see in CREATE TABLE statement are different from Transit Journal and for different purposes, they are basically permanent Journals,