Creating ODBC DSN for Teradata Database

Tools & Utilities
Fan

Creating ODBC DSN for Teradata Database

Hi,
Im new to Teradata database. I have installed Teradata 8.1 from the demo cd.I created a new database in Teradata Administrator and tried creating a odbc DSN for my created database.But im unaware of what to provide in the Authentication field of Teradata ODBC Driver. My requirement is simple i want to create a database with some tables and create a ODBC DSN and try connecting with my product through the ODBC DSN. Kindly Help Me.
Thanks in Advance
6 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Creating ODBC DSN for Teradata Database

For Creating a DSN you just need to give connection name (could be anything) ,IP Address of the host and username with which you wish to logon to teradata.

Once the DSN is created successfully,You can logon from any client that uses ODBC for connecting to Teradata(eg:- SQL Assistant,Teradata Administrator etc.,).You just need to fill in your username and password in the wndow that pop-ups when you click the connect icon in your client application.

I beleive you have mistaken the Teradata server with teradata Database. Using ODBC, you connect to Teradata as a User.A user can access/create databases and database objects (subject to his privileges) once he logs on to teradata.
Fan

Hi Leo,
Thanks for your help.I got the issue resolved.

Hi,
I have Informatica 8.1 and have to use Teradata as Backend. I created ODBC connection and I am able to import teradata tables as source and target. I created a relational connection for Teradata and tried to execute my workflow but I am getting error. In teradata relational connection I have given connection name as edw_dev , user_id and Password and data source name again as edw_dev as that is my system dsn name in ODBC connection. The database name is kept as blank.

The error which I am getting is

Severity Timestamp Node Thread Message Code Message
ERROR 8/22/2007 7:52:36 AM node01_nyrofclnxinformatica READER_1_1_1 RR_4036 Error connecting to database [
[unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no default driver specified
Database driver error...
Function Name : Connect
Database driver error...
Function Name : Connect
Database Error: Failed to connect to database using user [b_sott_dev] and connection string [edw_dev].].

What could be possible reason for this? Is there any problem with the relational database connection I have provided or is it problem with ODBC.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ritesh Kumar

Hi All,

Please Help !

I have downloaded TERADATA express edition version 14.0 (The whole package which installed all together) 

after i downloaded it on a personal Laptop Windows 7 Proffessional edition i wasnt able to find the tool that i strart the Database from it "With the orange ball that colors green when Database starts" , i alos wasn't able to find any Service related to TERDATA in Windows service . every time i try to connect from TD SQL assistant or TDWarehous miner i get this message (10061 error WSA E ConnRefused) The TERADATA server is not accepting Connections

NB  :When i was installing i didnt received any prompet for creating a user or a passowrd , how ever i still can find TDUSER and ADmin users available but got me the error i already mentiond.

Thanks in advance

Junior Contributor

Hi Mohammad,

what did you download/install, Teradata Express for VMWare (the DBMS) or TTU (the client)?

In TD14 there's no more Windows version for DBMS, there's only a virtual machine running TD on Suse Linux.

Hi All,

I have downloaded Teradata (td-ttu-15.00_for_Windows.zip) this version and after unzipping this file , I installed this (TTU_Base.exe) file and during installing i select all by checking. Now i opened the Teradata SQL Assistant and i am trying to run any query it opened one window ( Select Data Source ), i don't know why ?. And I try to "define ODBC Data Source" here it is asking for username and password that i am not getting.

Please help me.....

Please help me.....

Thanks to All.