Differences between bteq and mload

Tools & Utilities
Enthusiast

Differences between bteq and mload

Hi all,

I am new to Teradata forum.can any one help me when we can go for Bteq and when we can go for mload.Why cant we go for bteq instead of mload and viceversa.

Regards,
kiran
4 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Differences between bteq and mload

Hi,

BTEQ is the Query Submitting utility,
- using this we can execute all kind of query (selecting, inserting, updating, deleting, collecting statistics, granting and revoking access to any onjects etc.,)
- also we can perform some formatting on extracted (select) data to generate reports

MLOAD is the Loading utility,
- using this we can only insert, update or delete data in the table. Though we can perform this operation using BTEQ, performance wise it is good to use MLOAD while loading huge data. BTEQ will do well for loading less amount of data (few hundred rows)

Hope it cleared your question to a small bit.
Enthusiast

Thanks gopi..but still i want some more reasons as BTEQ does error reporting, not error capture.
But in mload we can capture in err1 and err2 tables.

Is Fastload and Mload errors table are same or different.

Regards,
Enthusiast

In MLoad,
ErrorTable1 - capture the error found during acquisition phase, also called ET table or Acquisition Phase Error table
ErrorTable2 - capture the error found during application phase, also called UV table or Application Phase Error table

In FLoad,
ErrorTable1 - capture any format error in the data
ErrorTable2 - capture any uniqueness violation in the data

Functionally I do not see any difference in error tables in MLoad and FLoad. I request forum gurus to throw some more light on this.
Enthusiast

You can execute standard SQL statements from BTEQ that perform many of the same bulk operations that you could do with MultiLoad, with excellent performance, though you need to be using Teradata 12.0 or later to get the most benefit. In particular, look up the MERGE statement the SQL manual. Note that it has an error logging option (a Teradata extension to the ANSI/ISO syntax), similar to FastLoad and MultiLoad. MERGE is often significantly faster than MultiLoad.