Encryted Password File for FastExport

Tools & Utilities
Highlighted
Enthusiast

Encryted Password File for FastExport

I wanted to know if there is a way to store the .logon  username/Password in a separate File and include it while calling the Fastexport script.Also is there any option to encrypt the password file which can be read only by the Fastexport script?I tried to set the DataEncryption option to ON but could not find  any difference in the log.?

11 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Encryted Password File for FastExport

Check out the .RUN FILE command in the documentation.

You cannot encrypt the contents, but you can restrict its usage through access rights settings.

DataEncryption is for the data going across the wire from FastExport to Teradata.

-- SteveF
Enthusiast

You can use teradata Wallet if it is available. It stores encrypted password, and you will not write the password directly in script.

Khurram

Khurram
Enthusiast

But if I use Teradata Wallet will it be possible to call it from the FastExport Script?I mean in Fast Export we provide in username and password in the .LOGON command as .LOGON IP/USERNM,PASSWORD. Where would the encrypted password  file fit in such a script?

Enthusiast

Here is an example you can follow:

https://forums.teradata.com/forum/tools/teradata-wallet-0

Khurram

Khurram
Enthusiast

We have found that we have to reenter Wallet entries after a reboot (AIX environment).  Is this normal?  

Thanks in advance,

Randy

Enthusiast

What do you mean by reenter? 

If you have tdwallet installed, simply run the tdwallet, add entries and use them in script as given in the example.

Khurram
Enthusiast

I mean that after a reboot of the AIX server, calls to the Wallet that worked before are no longer working.

*** CLI error: CLI2: TDWALLETERROR(543): Teradata Wallet error. The wallet does not contain an item named "sysdba_dev".

*** Return code from CLI is: 543

*** Error: Logon failed!

Enthusiast

Have you made any update to AIX ?

Khurram
Teradata Employee

On Unix systems, there are two different modes of storing passwords.

One is with a passphrase, you have to unlock always manually after you restart the server.

The other one is without the requirement of always unlocking your wallet (it's called "saved-key").

Which way is used to store your entries is determined by the command you use to add an item. You have very likely used the command "add" to add your entries. But if you use the command "addsk", you will not have to reenter your wallets passphrase every time again after a restart to be able to use it.

This "addsk" is not available on Windows or Mac.