Export file from Teradata to S3

Tools & Utilities
Teradata Employee

Export file from Teradata to S3

How to export a file from Teradata to S3?

How to install utilities on EC2 instance?

Accepted Solutions
Teradata Employee

Re: Export file from Teradata to S3

You can use the S3 access module with the TPT Data Connector operator.

For convenience, the database instance includes copies of TTU packages, so you can simply copy them to a client instance within your VPC and install them. Or you can obtain TTU from the software server, or the public downloads site.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
6 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

You can use the S3 access module with the TPT Data Connector operator.

For convenience, the database instance includes copies of TTU packages, so you can simply copy them to a client instance within your VPC and install them. Or you can obtain TTU from the software server, or the public downloads site.

Highlighted
Teradata Employee

Can we run TPT to export the file from our on-prem server where TTU 16 is installed to S3 or do we need a EC2 instance?

Teradata Employee

An EC2 instance is not required. The server where TPT runs must be able to access both the Teradata system and the S3 bucket.

See the Access Module Reference manual for more details.

Fan

Hi, 

I have a question on this topic. I installed TTU 16.10 from public downloads and trying to run TPT exports to Amazon S3 buckets. I did setup AWS config and crential files in my home path as needed. My export jobs are failing with the following message:

$FILE_WRITER[1]: TPT19434 pmAttach failed. General failure (34): '!ERROR! dlopen failed: libs3axsmod.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory'

$FILE_WRITER[1]: TPT19302 Fatal error loading access module.

Here is my Job load script:

DEFINE JOB EXPORT_FROM_TERADATA DESCRIPTION 'Export data from Teradata to Amazon S3' ( STEP EXPORT_THE_DATA ( APPLY TO OPERATOR ( $FILE_WRITER() ATTR ( AccessModuleName = 'libs3axsmod.so', AccessModuleInitStr = 'S3Bucket=mybucket-name S3Region=us-west-2' ) ) SELECT * FROM OPERATOR ( $EXPORT ATTR ( UserName = 'myUserName' , UserPassword = 'myPassword' , TdpId = 'myTdpId' , SelectStmt = 'SELECT * FROM myTable;' ) ); ); );

Upon reserach, I noticed that TTU package I downloaded from teradata site doesn't have 'Teradata access module for Amazon S3'. Here is the excerpt from TTU 16.10 ReadMe file where I dont find this component at all. Also, from the AWS stand point, I only created S3 bucket and configured credentials in my machine from where I'm trying to run the TPT export. Am I missing some thing here? Please advice.

TTU 16.10.05
=====================
Products in this release (a '*' implies that the product changed from the last release):

16.10.00.03           Teradata Data Connector*
16.10.00.09           Teradata Wallet*

16.10.00.00           Shared ICU Libraries for Teradata
16.10.00.00           Teradata Access Module For JMS
16.10.00.00           Teradata C PP2
16.10.00.03           ODBC Driver for Teradata
16.10.00.05           Teradata CLIv2
16.10.00.00           .NET Data Provider for Teradata
16.10.00.00           Teradata OLE DB Access Module
16.10.00.03           Teradata MultiLoad
16.10.00.03           Teradata Parallel Transporter Base
16.10.00.00           Teradata Named Pipes Access Module
16.10.00.02           Teradata BTEQ
16.10.00.00           WebSphere Access Module for Teradata
16.10.00.00           Teradata GeoSpatial Tool
16.10.00.03           Teradata FastExport
16.10.00.03           Teradata Parallel Transporter Stream
16.10.00.03           Teradata TPump
16.10.00.02           Teradata FastLoad
16.10.00.05           Teradata GSS Administration Package
16.10.00.02           Teradata SQL Assistant

Teradata Employee

I don't think S3 access module is available from the public downloads.teradata.com site currently.

You'll need a "Teradata At Your Service" account for the access.teradata.com portal to download TTU16.20.06 or later.

Fan

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the reply. It's working now.