Fast Export 2GB file Limit

Tools & Utilities

Fast Export 2GB file Limit

Hi ,

I am  new to teradata. I am working on a requirement fast export scripts.

Actually we are developing one generic script template to automate creating fexp script and this FEXP script can be used in any server. While running this FEXP script some server will have 2 GB file constraint. To overcome this 2GB constraint issue we need to implement split file logic along with the FEXP script template.

Can some one help me on this.

Thanks,

Karthick

4 REPLIES

Re: Fast Export 2GB file Limit

Hi,Karthick

We have came across with the same porblem also,and 

after research and discussion we decided there is no perfect solution ,maybe you can count the rows and export ,say ,20m rows at one time ,that's the workarund we took up at last

Enthusiast

On UNIX MP-RAS operating system, the maximum file size that is supported by the FastExport utility is 2 gigabytes. On Windows, Solaris SPARC, AIX, and HP-UX operating systems, there is no file size restriction. We are using IBM-AIX, I have seen a file size of 11.67 GB after extraction using fexp.

Enthusiast

I have worked on Linux server where we had files around 40 GB and it worked fine. Anyway for your case you might also want to explore pipe option in unix, to allow continous streaming ( if loading into another database ) so that file does not go beyond a limit .

If moving from one teradata database to another you might want to check out TDM's functionality.

Enthusiast

Yes its right that some servers have file size limits. If you are working on a generic script template then I guess the best solution will be to produce a limited size file with a certain number of records. I guess this is the only way you can avoid the file size limitations!