Flat files to Teradata tables

Tools & Utilities

Flat files to Teradata tables

Hi

Can anyone send me the procedure for loading the data from flat files(VSAM, txt, csv etc) to teradata tables without using Informatica.

thanks,

Rakesh
5 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Flat files to Teradata tables

Teradata has a lot of load/unload products that load data from flat files into Teradata.
FastLoad, MultiLoad, BTEQ, Teradata Parallel Transporter just to name a few.
-- SteveF
Enthusiast

Hi,

Say for mload: 1)First you need to have your logtable declaration 2) Logon to database 3) You must have the target table in place or you need to create after login in 4) then you declare .begin import mload tables end mload log off;

note: there are few constraints ,please go thru mload manual

Fastload: 1)declare your sessions(min,max),errlimit 2) logon to db 3) If table is not created you can create your table(However it must be empty or no SI) 3)set record format 4) Define all the fields for the tables 5) FILE= ( all the fields as place holder)
and then logoff;

Tpump: I will send later. I am busy now.

Thanks and regards,
Raja

Can the Teradata Utilities read VSAM files directly and load it to tables. What is the best approach if I have 104 columns in VSAM.

If we can extract the VSAM files to delimited text, can the Teradata Utilities generate the DDL scripts or i have to manually create the DDL scripts for 104 coulumns. We have VSAM files that are >200 columns.

Enthusiast

Yes we can read and import vsam files directly   (  all Teradata formats are supported ). Only sequential read is supported.   No keyed indexing is supported.  Alternate Index ( Path Names ) are also supported for sequential read.

Usually VSAM  files are created and maintained by  COBOL or ASM programs.  This means  the format will be   UNFORMATTED ( which on the mainframe is identical to FORMATTED ). So as long as you can create a ddl schema that matches their data lay-out format you should be good to go. CHAR,  INT  and  decimal should work   ( I am not sure if  float would be compatible with a cobol float ).  You need to understand and map our types to standard corresponding IBM Cobol mainframe types.  VARCHAR might also work ( if you created data that corresponds ) with our format.

Enthusiast

Please note, you must be at the most curent efix level for VSAM to work correctly.