Informatica 7.1.3 and Teradata V2R6

Tools & Utilities
Enthusiast

Informatica 7.1.3 and Teradata V2R6

Hi,

We're replacing our target database to Teradata from Oracle and we're planning to use Informatica together with FastLoad and MultiLoad. As far as I know FL can be used for InitialLoad and ML can be used for Ongoing load. Can I use MutiLoad for both Initial load and ongoing load? Or what is the best way to handle? We are planning to use Loader connection.

Regards,
JMM
5 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Informatica 7.1.3 and Teradata V2R6

Hi JMM,

ML can be used for both Initial load and ongoing load, when we use ML for Initial load the performance is low while comparing with FL. Moreover FL is exclusively built for Initial load, so it is always better to use FL for Initial load and for any ongoing load can be done with ML.

If you still have doubts, you can always refer ML and FL manuals.

Regards,
Balamurugan
Enthusiast

I have a question...
Why does informatica take more time to load than teradata utilities(Fastload and multi load)?
Enthusiast

Bcos TD utilities are built around Teradata Architecture and makes use of it in the best possible way, which WAS not the case with Informatica.

But Informatica now does provides you the option to use Teradata Utilities to load records when you are using Teradata as your Database.

So there should not be problems anymore.

Regards,
Annal T
Enthusiast

But still there is a time difference...
Is it because informatica calls mload and other utilities through API's and relational queues?

If informatica is better .. Then its better to learn informatica than teradata right?
Enthusiast

Data warehouse is a other DBMS(oracle,DB2,sql server,......) rather than TERADATA...

which one is more preferable for ETL?? either TERADATA tools(Fastload,Multiload,....) or informatica??? regarding performance aspect??

Thanks and Regards
Anil Reddy