Installation of TDWallet & TPT fails

Tools & Utilities
Enthusiast

Installation of TDWallet & TPT fails

Hello everybody,

I'm posting here since I am in serious trouble. I started working with Talend recently which supports Teradata and some of it's tool like TDWallet and TPT.

Yesterday I needed TDWallet only and downloaded and installed the latest version: tdwallet__windows_x8664.15.10.01.06 That worked great so for.

Today I tried to work with TPT which first failed because of the missing libraries. Colleagues told me to install the Utilities so I grabbed the package td-ttu-15.10.05_for_Windows.zip and that is where the trouble started.

First I executed TTU_Base.exe from the package, chose all products within the wizard and tried to install everything. TPT did not work first, so I checked the forum, found this page (http://community.teradata.com/t5/Tools/Calling-tbuild-exe-directly-via-command-prompt-Windows/td-p/5...) and looked for the mentioned paths C:\Program Files (x86)\Teradata\Client\15.00\Teradata Parallel Transporter\[bin|msg]. They did not exist, but I found the executable tbuild.exe within the parent bin directory c:\Program Files (x86)\Teradata\Client\15.10\Bin\. Starting tbuild from there lead to an error. Searching for an solution I manually installed the TPT 32bit and 64bit from the utilities-package. TPT worked then.

But TD Wallet was broken. I remember there was an error message regarding TD Wallet while installing all tools and utilities. I thought that's not a problem since I installed that one yesterday but then I realized that the installion of yesterday does not work anymore. Trying to start the TDWallet from Start in Windows does nothing, starting it from the console (64bit version) leads to the following message:

C:\Program Files\Teradata\Client\15.10\tdwallet\nt-x8664>tdwallet.exe
An exception occurred! Type:RuntimeException, Message:The primary document entity could not be opened. Id=C:\\Program Files\\Teradata\\Client\\15.10\\tdwallet\\nt-x8664\\../../..\\15.10\\tdwallet\\config.xml

The config.xml is a link which links to itself. So in my mind it makes no sense at all.

In the meantime I tried to install the TD Wallet versions of the above mentioned utilities-package. I hoped that it worked the same way as TPT did. The 64bit version could not be installed because it's older than the already existing version (15.10.01.01 instead of 15.10.01.06) so the setup stopped and told me "A later version of 'Teradata Wallet nt-x8664 15.10.1.6' is already installed on this machine. The setup cannot continue."  Installing the 32bit version worked but trying to start it afterwards finished with the same result as shown above with the 64bit version.

Each directory (32bit and 64bit) contains a validate.bat. Executing this leads to the error: "Teradata Wallet is not ready for use....Please check for proper installation!!"

By the way: Running TTUListProducts shows the latest 64bit version only: 15.10.01.06 Teradata Wallet nt-x8664 15.10.1.6

I wanted to uninstall the new 64bit version but don't know how. There's no entry within Windows's "Programs and features" nor is there an uninstall.exe within the package tdwallet__windows_x8664.15.10.01.06. I even tried setup.exe /uninstall with no success. Trying the uninstall/repair the whole suite using TTU_DBM.exe or TTU_Base.exe leads to an error "The wizard was interrupted before Teradata Tools and Utilities - Base 15.10.05 could be completed installed."

Does anybody has any other ideas how I may get TD Wallet running again?

I'm working with a Win8.1 Professional 64bit system.

Thanks for any hints.

Best regards,

Ben

6 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Installation of TDWallet & TPT fails

Get the Teradata Tools and Utilities Base package from T@YS. There is an "uninstall" script with directions to help clean up all existing / partial TD client installs. After you uninstall everything and reboot, reinstall TTU from this package so all components will be at compatible fix levels.

Enthusiast

Hey Fred,

sorry for the late reply, I was busy the last 2 weeks.

I remember trying this script too with no success, but I'll give it another try. I started 

cscript uninstall_TTU.vbs ALL /FORCE:TRUE

now. This will probably take a while.

I'll keep you posted.

Regards,

Ben

EDIT: To everybody why may run into the same situation: My statement above did help nothing as the script looks per default only for versions BEFORE 15.0. If you have installed versions of 15.x only (like me), you need to call the script with the parameter /PRIORTOVERSION:xx.xx.xx.xx, e.g.

cscript uninstall_TTU.vbs ALL /FORCE:TRUE /PRIORTOVERSION:15.10.01.07
Tags (1)
  • Tags:
Enthusiast

The uninstall using the VB-script worked - even though it took ages.

Now I have installed most of the tools using the TTU_Base.exe but tdwallet does not work yet.

Installed are the versions of the latest utilities pack now:

15.10.01.01 Teradata Wallet 15.10.1.1
15.10.01.01 Teradata Wallet nt-x8664 15.10.1.1

But nothing happens when I try to start it using the icon in Windows Start.

Starting the validate.bat in the command shell shows the error "Teradata Wallet is not ready for use....Please check for proper installation!!" again.

Starting tdwallet.exe from shell breaks with "An exception occurred! Type:RuntimeException, Message:The primary document entity could not be opened. Id=C:\\Program Files\\Teradata\\Client\\\\15.10\\tdwallet\\config.xml". (there's no difference between 32 and 64bit).

The config.xml is a symlink linking to 32bit-directory in 64bit-version and vice versa. What now? Does anybody have an example of the config.xml which I may use to overwrite useless links?

Thanks,

Ben

Enthusiast

As neither TTU_Base.exe's Repair nor its uninstall broke I uninstalled every tool manually using the msi in the matchig subdirectory until TTUListProducts.exe didn't show any installed products anymore. After a reboot I installed some of the tools again using TTU_Base.exe. This worked so far without any error.

But starting tdwallet now brings the same error as before:

"An exception occurred! Type:RuntimeException, Message:The primary document entity could not be opened. Id=C:\\Program Files\\Teradata\\Client\\\\15.10\\tdwallet\\config.xml".

Starting the validate.bat in the command shell still shows the error "Teradata Wallet is not ready for use....Please check for proper installation!!".

Is there maybe an entry in the registry or a file somewhere in the system which may prevent the version 15.10.1.1 from starting? I had installed TDWallet 15.10.1.6 before.

Any ideas? I'm still stuck :(

Teradata Employee

On my system, the 64-bit folder [under Program Files] has a symlink to the actual config.xml in the 32-bit folder [Program files (x86)].

Maybe the cleanup program didn't remove the folders / symlinks?

If you delete the symlink from the 32-bit folder and do a "repair" install, a new copy of the file should get created.

Enthusiast

Hi Fred,

thanks for your suggestion again. Seems the uninstall of the TDWallet package is unable to remove everything. :( Even my old passwords were still available in Wallet after it run again.

What I did to make it finally work was to install the tools on another computer without any Teradata tools. There I checked for the config.xml and found it in the 32bit-directory and copied it to my system. Finally it works again. :)

Tags (1)