Loading into multiple tables from single source file

Tools & Utilities
Enthusiast

Loading into multiple tables from single source file

Hi

Does anyone know if the FastLoad utility can be used to load into multiple tables from a single source file? Say you have a source file with several record types, and you wish for each of the record types to be loaded into their own table, can this tool be used for that? I have tried a similar attempt on DB2 with its LOAD utility with no success.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Cheers
3 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Loading into multiple tables from single source file

Hi Megamic,

A Fastload job can load into a single table only, it cannot load into multiple tables in a single fload job.And I beleive fastload does not support conditional logic as you are expecting.

you can use multiload utility which can load upto 5 tables in a single mload job. Also Multiload supports conditional logic what you are expecting
Enthusiast

Thanks for that response, it narrows the options down a bit.
To explain the problem a bit more, each source file will in fact be writing to potentially hundreds of tables, and are in IBM mainframe format (EBCDIC, zoned and packed decimal numbers etc). To solve this problem in DB2 I wrote a C application that interfaced with the DB2 CLI (which is ODBC compliant i believe). Ruling out any of the teradata LOAD utilities, what similar options are available for teradata? I quote some possibilities from the teradata website:

>Application Programming Interfaces
>
>Teradata provides a number of standardized interfaces to facilitate easy >development of applications. Included are the ODBC Driver for Teradata, the JDBC >Driver for Teradata, the OLE DB Data Provider for Teradata, the Microsoft .NET >Data Provider for Teradata, the Teradata Call-Level Interface (CLI), and the >TS/API, which permits applications that normally access IBM DB2 to run against >Teradata. Also included are a number of third-party interfaces, such as Sybase >Open Server and Open Client.

I am thinking particulary about the Teradata Call-Level Interface (CLI), where can I find more specific info about this and its potential?

Cheers
Enthusiast

Hi Megamic,

Your can find more on CLI in Teradata documentation manuals.You can find the documents on CLI in the following link

http://www.info.ncr.com/eTeradata-BrowseBy-Results.cfm?pl=&PID=&title=%25&release=&kword=CCLI2&sbrn=7&nm=Teradata+Tools+and+Utilities+-+Call-Level+Interface+(CLI)