Need help to identify the issue with result set

Tools & Utilities
Enthusiast

Need help to identify the issue with result set

I have written a query which returns two fields named as MI_NBR, MI_CHANGE after certain joins and filters, (MI_CHANGE field will have only values either YES or NO)
When I run the query to select distinct MI_NBR where MI_CHANGE='YES' it returns 359 rows and When I run the query to select distinct MI_NBR where MI_CHANGE='NO' it returns 413838 rows.

But when I run the query to select distinct MI_NBR only without any MI_CHANGE filter, then it return 414074 rows. Ideally it should return 414197 (413838+359) rows. Can any one tell what the issue can be?

FYI, I checked MI_CHANGE contains values as either YES or NO

Regards,
Mayank

Accepted Solutions
Teradata Employee

Re: Need help to identify the issue with result set

It would appear that you have 123 values for MI_NBR where MI_CHANGE has YES for some rows and NO for others.

SELECT MI_NBR, SUM(CASE WHEN MI_CHANGE = 'YES' THEN 1 END) NBR_YES, SUM(CASE WHEN MI_CHANGE = 'NO' THEN 1 END) NBR_NO

FROM ...

GROUP BY MI_NBR

HAVING MIN(MI_CHANGE) <> MAX(MI_CHANGE);

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
4 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

It would appear that you have 123 values for MI_NBR where MI_CHANGE has YES for some rows and NO for others.

SELECT MI_NBR, SUM(CASE WHEN MI_CHANGE = 'YES' THEN 1 END) NBR_YES, SUM(CASE WHEN MI_CHANGE = 'NO' THEN 1 END) NBR_NO

FROM ...

GROUP BY MI_NBR

HAVING MIN(MI_CHANGE) <> MAX(MI_CHANGE);

Enthusiast

Thanks Fred.

Through the above query you provided I got 123 rows, where MI_NBR has both YES or NO in MI_CHANGE field. I have two questions, can you please answer them?

1. HAVING MIN(MI_CHANGE) <> MAX(MI_CHANGE); -- Purpose of this having clause?

2. MI_CHANGE is basically a field to determine if the MI_NBR is exisitng or it is the new one by comparing MI_NBR returned by currrent query with MI_NBR stored in history table which maintains the list of MI_NBR, below is the join that I have written in order to implement this.

SEL CURR.MI_NBR, 

CASE WHEN HIST.MI_NBR IS NULL THEN 'YES' ELSE 'NO' END AS MI_CHANGE

FROM MI_TBL CURR

LEFT JOIN MI_NBR_HIST HIST

ON CURR.MI_NBR=HIST.MI_NBR

It should return either YES or NO only for a particular MI_NBR, but why it is returning both YES and NO for same MI_NBR?

Regards,
Mayank
Highlighted
Teradata Employee

1. The HAVING clause is effectively filtering "where there is more than one (non-NULL) value".

2. If this is the full query, I can't explain. If this is a simplified form, I would suggest that you take one of the MI_NBR with both MI_CHANGE values and relatively few rows, and examine the detail row contents versus the query logic to understand why both values get generated. 

Enthusiast

Thanks Fred for your help.

The issue was with a join, the issue is fixed now. Now I am getting only one MI_CHANGE value for each MI_NBR.

Regards,
Mayank