TPT Load Operator Error: CLI Error 302: CLI2: BADBUFRQ(302): Invalid buffer size

Tools & Utilities
Enthusiast

TPT Load Operator Error: CLI Error 302: CLI2: BADBUFRQ(302): Invalid buffer size

Running Teradata Parallel Transporter :  Load Operator and ODBC Operator Version 15.10.00.01

I'm attempting to load several tables from an Oracle Database with ODBC and Load Operators (Streaming data with "Job is running in Buffer Mode").

Several tables work great without specifying a BufferSize for the Load Operator:

Data Block size: 3470696  Buffers/Block: 54  Data Buffer size: 64272

TPT_ODBC_OPERATOR: data retrieval complete

TPT_ODBC_OPERATOR: Total Rows Exported:  1

Task(SELECT_2[0001]) ready to checkpoint

But there are (many) others:

Data Block size: 3470696  Buffers/Block: 54  Data Buffer size: 64272

TPT_INFRA: TPT02255: Message Buffers Sent/Received = 0, Total Rows Received = 0, Total Rows Sent = 0

TPT_LOAD_OPERATOR: TPT10507: CLI Error 302: CLI2: BADBUFRQ(302): Invalid buffer size.

Invalid Buffer Size ?  But the two runs have identical buffer sizes ? 

What's going on ?   Can the source tables size (row width, # rows, # columns), or ODBC settings impact the Load Operator's Buffer Size ?

Thanks

7 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: TPT Load Operator Error: CLI Error 302: CLI2: BADBUFRQ(302): Invalid buffer size

Looks like the cause was the ODBC Driver for the ODBC Operator, even though the error is reported in the Load Operator. 

Switching to a trial version of the DataDirect driver seemed to fix the problem.  

This worked in earlier versions of TTU.  The reference manual warning "

may have unexpected results" appears to carry more weight with TTU 15.10! 

Teradata Employee

Re: TPT Load Operator Error: CLI Error 302: CLI2: BADBUFRQ(302): Invalid buffer size

I am not sure I should bring this up and pursue it, since you seem to have "fixed" the problem. But a CLI302 error in the Load operator cannot be caused by the ODBC operator, or the version of the ODBC operator. The 2 operators are independent of each other.

What ODBC driver were you using prior to switching to the "trial version"?

The 15.10 version of TPT comes bundled with ODBC drivers (although you need to obtain the license files from us; there is no fee for those license files).

-- SteveF
Enthusiast

Thank you very much for the feedback.  It is great to see that the ODBC driver licensing is bundled with TPT, given that it is a prerequisite for the ODBC Operator.  Well done !  I had raised this some time ago with older TTU Versions.  I'll get the license files ASAP!

I was using the standard Oracle Client.

The buffer issue  may be due to characters being stored as 4 bytes per character in this Oracle instance, and the buffer sizes (with the Oracle ODBC) are coming out in a way that the LOAD Operator can't handle.     The odd thing is that the buffer size in the logs are identical between the working and non working jobs.   It may be worth understanding the reason, but you may be wasting your time given that the "supported" approach works.   

By the way, it might be worth making it clearer to customers that the datadirect drivers are supplied and the license has to be requrested.  It's in the TTU Release Notes, but not in the TPT Reference Guide (ODBC Operator) where one would be expected to go first, or in the error message when I attempted to initially use it.    In any case, I am very please that they are bundled and thanks for pointing it out.

Teradata Employee

Thanks for the feedback. We will improve the docs.

-- SteveF
Enthusiast

Hi Steve,

How does one go about getting the license files ?

Teradata Employee

You need to contact our Product Management team. The contact person right now is Jefferson Uy.

-- SteveF
Enthusiast

Thanks Steve.