TTU 12 is messing up MS Access

Tools & Utilities
Enthusiast

TTU 12 is messing up MS Access

I have a java program which connects to Teradata and backs up data into a local MS Access database. After installing TTU 12 it stopped working saying :

java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager]Unknown

This was while accessing MS Access, not Teradata. This has happened across all systems which installed TTU 12.

I thought maybe the problem lies in the ODBC setup. I was using a DSN-less connection so far to avoid having to setup User DSNs etc in various systems & with limited registry access :

{
Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver");
String database ="jdbc:odbc:driver={Microsoft Access Driver(*.mdb)};DBQ=c:/db2.mdb;DriverID=22;READONLY=true}";
Connection con = DriverManager.getConnection( database ,"","");
Statement st=con.createStatement();
ResultSet rs=st.executeQuery("select * from login" );
}

So now I created an ODBC source and connected through that like this:

String url = "jdbc:odbc:wombat";
Connection con = DriverManager.getConnection(url, "oboy", "12Java");

But still the same error occurs. When I opened up MS Access and tried to access the tables I got a single error dialog box with the single word : Unknown ...this is what is passed to the driver as well & appears in my Java SQL Exception.

Now I know it appears to be a Java issue and having nothing to do with Teradata, but this has happened on 20 systems on the same day exactly after TTU 12 was installed and on widely separate geographic locations.All had Windows XP SP2 - 32 bit

Furthermore the MS Access database was in Access 2000 version so I changed it to 2002-2003 version and tried again but got the same error : Unknown when I clicked to open any tables. Now MS Access 2003 can't open its own tables!! Then I tried this on a system with Office 2007 in it, and it works ! and JDBC too, so TTU 12 has not affected systems having Office 2007.

My conclusion is that TTU 12 in some way broke the ODBC setup and affected MS Access settings even though there is no way it should. Can someone please make sense of all this as I have Office 2003 in my system and we are not upgrading to Office 2007. But I really need to access the tables in this database. How come this was not caught during testing ?..and please dont tell me to download the Office compatibility pack..TTU 12 is not supposed to even touch MS Office in any way !

This has been posted before and no attempt was made to resolve it:
http://www.teradata.com/teradataforum/Topic13050-10-1.aspx?Highlight=ms+access
2 REPLIES

Re: TTU 12 is messing up MS Access

Had the same issue. Try :
You need Local-Admin rights. Then paste this in the CMD line :
regsvr32.exe C:\WINNT\system32\msjtes40.dll

The fix is here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317708
Enthusiast

Re: TTU 12 is messing up MS Access

Yes thanks!!!.....I got the error number 3100...and then it was easy :)