Teradata Wallet Data Architecture?

Tools & Utilities
Enthusiast

Teradata Wallet Data Architecture?

Can anyone point me to where the data within TDWallet is stored? Is there a file I can bring up and show my security folks that the data accessed by tdwallet is encrypted? Thanks in advance for helping me understand where the physical data is located.

Accepted Solutions
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata Wallet Data Architecture?

Hi jdivis,

The specifics of how and where Teradata Wallet stores information are internal implementation details and the Teradata Wallet team reserves the right to change these specifics.  As such, do not rely on the information below being correct in the future.

For Teradata Wallet on AIX, HP-UX, Linux, and Solaris, wallet information is stored within the /opt/teradata/client/tdwallet/wallets directory.  Note that “/opt” here represents the user-selected installation directory; obviously if you install in a directory other than “/opt”, then substitute wherever you chose to install the software.

For Teradata Wallet on Windows, wallet information is stored within the user’s credential set.  To view your credential set, use Credential Manager, which you can start by running the following command:

control /name Microsoft.CredentialManager

At least on one version of Windows, I found credential set information to be stored at

C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\Microsoft\Credentials\user_security_identifier\Credentials

For Teradata Wallet on OS/X, wallet information is stored within the user’s keychain.  To view your keychain, use the Keychain Access app.  The Keychain information is usually located in the “Keychains” folder in your home directory.

I hope this helps!
-shawn   :-)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
3 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Follow up to this question: does teradata have controls to stop individuals from just writing out all of the values of the name-value pairs within a wallet, unencrypted?

Teradata Employee

Hi jdivis,

The specifics of how and where Teradata Wallet stores information are internal implementation details and the Teradata Wallet team reserves the right to change these specifics.  As such, do not rely on the information below being correct in the future.

For Teradata Wallet on AIX, HP-UX, Linux, and Solaris, wallet information is stored within the /opt/teradata/client/tdwallet/wallets directory.  Note that “/opt” here represents the user-selected installation directory; obviously if you install in a directory other than “/opt”, then substitute wherever you chose to install the software.

For Teradata Wallet on Windows, wallet information is stored within the user’s credential set.  To view your credential set, use Credential Manager, which you can start by running the following command:

control /name Microsoft.CredentialManager

At least on one version of Windows, I found credential set information to be stored at

C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\Microsoft\Credentials\user_security_identifier\Credentials

For Teradata Wallet on OS/X, wallet information is stored within the user’s keychain.  To view your keychain, use the Keychain Access app.  The Keychain information is usually located in the “Keychains” folder in your home directory.

I hope this helps!

Teradata Employee

Hi jdivis,

We do not provide any facility for outputting the values of wallet items.