clispb.dat implications

Tools & Utilities
Enthusiast

clispb.dat implications

Reading through the CLI documentation I was excited to discover the clispb.dat file and how to leverage it to change settings.  Before I actually implement changes on my systems I was curious if someone could explian exactly what the following settings will do and what the potential impact to my processes could be.

• req_buf_len
  • resp_buf_len
  • maximum_parcel - this appears to have to be set to H so resp can be 1MB
  • two_resp_bufs

The documentation is not very clear about what these will effect.  I am assuming the resp_buf_len is like the ODBC/.net response buffer setting in windows.

Any guidance would be appreciated

William Miteff
Tags (1)
1 REPLY
Fan

Re: clispb.dat implications

req_buf_len is the desired length of the request which is being sent to the Teradata server.  The requst can be either an SQL statement or data in the form of parcels (a complete topic in their own right).  It is usually safe to leave this as the default of 1kb

resp_buf_len as you have correctly stated is the Response buffer length.  But it is slightly different in that it refers to the DESIRED response buffer length. It can be compared against the actual buffer length.  cur_resp_buf_len.  Differences can indicate if there were a memory allocaton issue

maximum_parcel should be left as is please.  All you will change is to reduce the parcel request size and slow things down 'H' is the current favorite value.

two_resp_bufs otherwise known as double buffering just means that the Teradata server continues to shovel data into the response area while the application is processing the current parcel.  Of use in SLOBs and fast export type operations.  Confess I have never played with this one