911-ETL developer

Tools
Enthusiast

911-ETL developer

- Question> My question to all the respectable Teradata Gurus/Experts is: What am I required to study to develop ETL?

- Background> I currently have a Teradata Level 1 certification with no experience and working as a Business Analyst. I would like to get into a developmental role within Teradata. Actually, my company would have an openning for a Tech Analyst/ETL Developer in a next little while, and I will be applying for it. All I am looking is someone to guide me to the right path, and tell me what am I suppose to practice, and look into, to understand and write ETL scripts. Even if they dont consider me for this position, this would give me a chance to learn more about a technical role within Teradata. My company uses IBM's Data stage for ETL, has Teradata NCR servers and carries approximately 30 nodes. I have given the background so its easier for you to understand where I am at, and what steps I must take to get to my objective.

- Request> All the respectable Gurus/Experts of this forum are welcome to comment. If you read this post, and know the answer, I request you to answre my post, please. Your help would be highly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance for all your time/kindness.

Merry Xmas/Happy Holidays,

Regards,
DZ
5 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: 911-ETL developer

Hi,
First of all,I am not a teradata expert,but have some experience as ETL developer in teradata.So,I want to share bit of my experience which may help you.
1)You must know SQL to an intermediate level atleast.
2)You need to understand the data model of the warehouse or the module you are going to work on.It may be a denormalized or normalized model.
3)You also need to know the source system to understand the business logic
involved in the transformations you are going to apply in ETL (mappings).
4)Finally,the tools and utilities,technologies used in the ETL process,such as
datastage,BTEQ,Mload,Fastload from Teradata.

Hope it helps!!
All the best!!

---Aravind
Enthusiast

Thanks so much for your reply Aravind. Knowing I currently do not have an ETL developer position is it possible: A) to get a job first and then learn there according to your instructions or B) learn on my own so i can apply as an ETL developer. Please respond.

All other respectable readers are also welcome to share their knowledge/wisdom with reference to my original and subsequent post.

Thanks,
DZ
Enthusiast

Hi,
I believe that u can get a job as a ETL developer without experience also,since you are currently a business analyst.Your knowledge and experience as a business analyst helps in technical role.
However,It is necessary to have basic SQL/RDBMS knowledge.I appreciate your teradata level 1 certification.Put some more effort and complete teradata SQL
and physical implementation exams if possible.Try to learn teradata utilities
by practicing at home with the Demo version.
That will certainly make you an eligible candidate for the role in your company.

Regards,
Aravind

I would also seek the advice of ETL Developers. Not that the advice given here is not right on the money. Perhaps the ETL Gurus can shed further light on the subject. With that in mind, I would direct you to the premier DataStage forum - http://www.dsxchange.com/

Ask those yahoos this same question.

BTW - I have no idea what Teradata Level 1 certification is but it sounds impressive. As a person who has both technical Teradata AND knowledge of the business, I gotta think you'd be GOLD as a ETL Developer. Your company would be very foolish not to absolutely DEMAND that you take the ETL position once they know you want it.

Good Luck!
Enthusiast

Hi,
Please note that I work in designing, testing and supporting ETL systems but cannot be considered a Guru in either of this. I also work on Technical documentation and partly also Business transcripts for customers. Hence I have a small taste of many of these aspects. Below would be a short version of my experiences:
First of all, I would like to specify a few intrinsic points about ETL coding.
It is not necessary that you will get to use all your Business Analyst experience while coding ETL. It will definitely help you in understanding the systems better and sometimes in designing better systems. But as you know, the world is not the "so very rosy place" we always want it to be. So please be informed, you may be walking in to a totally different world. So set your prioirties first before you take this jump. The most important requirement of all time would be sound knowledge of SQL. Secondly would be the knowledge of query/performance optimization to an extent. Thirdly I would say is a good knowledge of the data model and involved schemas.
Your previous experience as a BA will tell you what the client wants, but you should be able to translate it to how, with what, how efficiently, how frequently and at what cost. Hope that helps.