Can INMOD routines be used when creating a script in TPT Wizard?

Tools
Enthusiast

Can INMOD routines be used when creating a script in TPT Wizard?

I haven't seen any documentation suggesting that a fastload INMOD routine can be called from a script created and run from within the TPT Wizard. Has anybody else ever used fastload INMOD routines in a TPT Wizard generated script?
6 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Can INMOD routines be used when creating a script in TPT Wizard?

Hi jgleaso,

I think you might find that generating and running scripts through the TPT wizard to be an exercise in frustration. I used to work pretty closely with TPT, and my understanding was that the wizard had been developed to "get people started" developing TPT scripts - that it wasn't intended to support all or even most features commonly used in TPT jobs (or FastLoad / MultiLoad / FastExport jobs, for that matter).

That said, I would encourage you to open incidents with NCR when you find things missing from the wizard - let them know how you feel! (If you care ...)

If you just want to know the syntax for using the FastLoad INMOD operator as a source, let me know and I will post it.

Good luck,

- Chris
Enthusiast

Thanks Chris,

I agree that the TPT wizard is for creating a shell of a script. I had a heck of a time loading a data field from Oracle to Teradata using the wizard. It required quite a bit of editing (kind of defeating the purpose of a wizard)

I am experiencing problems with tbuild (TPT) executed from the command line on a UNIX box when trying to connect to an Oracle database. I'm getting an ODBC type of an error. Can't get Teradata to tell me which odbc.ini tbuild uses so it has been an exercise in frustration for me. Would you happen to know if the TTU8.2 upgrade creates it's own odbc.ini file to be used to connect to outside odbc data sources? If so, do you know in which directory it is located?

Thanks for your input,

Joe
Enthusiast

I don't think it installs its own odbc.ini. I think it does look for one in your home directory, ~/.odbc.ini. I think the INI file used can be overwritten with the ODBCINI environment variable?

Try adding the TraceLevel attribute to the ODBC operator definition, either set to 'ALL' or 'DEBUG'. Are you familiar enough with tlogview to get around viewing the operator logs? This interface, too, is a tad cumbersome ...
Enthusiast

I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to point tbuild to the correct odbc.ini file. I can't imagine the install not creating it's own odbc.ini. What if I don't have an existing odbc.ini file in my file system for some reason, would tbuild not work? Would I need to create the odbc.ini for tbuild to work? <=== Rhetorical questions not directed at you Chris!

I would think the TPT install on UNIX would spell out what I need to do if my file system does not include an existing ODBC.ini file with an entry to make an odbc connection into an Oracle instance.

Anyway I tried to create my own odbc.ini file

I created a file in my home directory called: /home/jgleaso/odbc.ini

I copied the contents of this file from another apps odbc.ini entry. I edited it to include the datasource I am trying to connect to (I have no idea if this is correct since I have no odbc setup and configuration documentation from Teradata)

The contents of that file are:
[ODSP01]
Driver=/opt/hyperion/essbase/odbc/merant41/lib/ARora18.sl
Description=DataDirect 4.0 Oracle Wire Protocol
HostName=mhostname.dexmedia.com
PortNumber=1521
SID=ODSP01

[ODBC]
Trace=1
TraceFile=/home/jgleaso/odbctrace.out
TraceDll=/opt/hyperion/essbase/odbc/merant41/lib/odbctrac.sl
InstallDir=/opt/hyperion/essbase/odbc/merant41
ConversionTableLocation=/opt/hyperion/essbase/odbc/merant41/tables
UseCursorLib=0

I then edited my .profile to include the following entry:

# Set up ODBC ini path
ODBCINI=/home/jgleaso
export ODBCINI

What I expected to happen was for tbuild to use /home/jgleaso/odbc.ini to establish an odbc connection into the ODSP01 instance of Oracle. If any problems occur, I would expect them to be written out to /home/jgleaso/odbctrace.out as specified in the [ODBC] entry of the odbc.ini file. I also set [ODBC] trace=1 in order to enable odbc tracing.

I ran, from the command line, tbuild -tf loadChannelEng.txt

It failed with the following error obtained by executing the following command:

tlogview -j jgleaso-37 -f "*" -g > mylog20070503_3

**** 14:35:13 Connecting to RDBMS: 'odsp01'
**** 14:35:13 Connecting with UserId: 'myid'
**** 14:35:13 Error: unable to connect to data source
**** 14:35:13 Fatal error received from ODBC driver:
STATE=IM002l"[Da, CODE=0,
MSG='[DataDirect][ODBC lib] System information file not found. Ple
ase check the ODBCINI environment variable.'

This ODBC problem is driving me crazy! I thought I had clearly set my ODBCINI environment variable in my .profile.

I'm in the process of waiting to talk to someone in development to get this cleared up. I'll let you know what I find out.

Joe
Enthusiast

Are you able to try setting the TraceLevel attribute of the ODBC Operator to 'All'? Perhaps that will provide some information as to where the operator is looking for odbc.ini files ...
Enthusiast

To begin with, it couldn't locate the ODBC config file as evident from the message

MSG='[DataDirect][ODBC lib] System information file not found. Ple
ase check the ODBCINI environment variable.'

because you need to set ODBCINI variable to include the filepath.

ODBCINI=/home/jgleaso/.odbc.ini

Also you need to set the shared lib environment variable appropriately (this depends on the Unix flavour, refer odbc manual) and export it.

Having said that, you might want to look into what you specify in the .odbc.ini file

in the [ODBC] options section and your [Data sourse section] and compare it with what the ODBC manual says. (refer chapter 2 for unix odbc config - take a print out ! :-) .)

http://www.info.ncr.com/eDownload.cfm?itemid=062620002

my $0.02