Casting Date in Bteq utilities

Tools
Enthusiast

Casting Date in Bteq utilities

Hi Team,

I am new to Teradata  and I have a requirement to load the data FROM EXCEL using BTEQ UTILITIY. However as far as I know we cannot load data from excel but can load in CSV format.

requirement is as below

I have to load the set of records and below is the source data ie CSV

ID                DATE

234567        01AUG2016 5:57:51

Target table in TD which we have is

create set table xx

(

ID

date timestamp(6)

)

PI(ID)

I tried writing the BTEQ Script ie

using(

ID

Date --------how to convert 01AUG2016 5:57:51 TO timestamp (6) in Teradata ??????

)

insert into xx

values (

:id

:date

);

.quit

.logoff

4 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Casting Date in Bteq utilities

Hi Team,

can anyone let me know syntax to convert date as above in fastload instead of bteq plzz

Teradata Employee

FastLoad supports only limited data type conversions, either implicit or using Teradata-style syntax. And at a minimum you would need to change the input to always have 2 digits for the hour. If you are saving from Excel as CSV, apply a custom format to the column to make it compatible with Teradata / ANSI standard: yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss

Also if the input is delimited text, all the fields in your FastLoad DEFINE must be VARCHAR.

Enthusiast

Hi Fred,

thank you very much for your inputs howver I have tried to create the staging table with the below query and used oTranslate funcion to pad 0 if its single digit 

substring( DIARY_DATE  from 6 for 4)|| '-'||  SUBSTRING(DIARY_DATE  from 3 for 3)||'-'|| SUBSTRING(DIARY_DATE  from 1 for 2)||' ' || oTRANSLATE(SUBSTRING('0' from 1 for 18-length(DIARY_DATE) )||

SUBSTRING(DIARY_DATE from 10 for 10),   ' ','')

Teradata Employee

Not sure I understand your question at this point. Are you saying that you loaded to a staging table as character, and now you want a SQL expression that will CAST the character string to a Timestamp, such as:

CAST(

CASE WHEN SUBSTRING(DIARY_DATE FROM 12 for 1) = ':'

THEN SUBSTRING(DIARY_DATE from 1 for 10)||'0'||SUBSTRING(DIARY_DATE from 11 for 7)

ELSE DIARY_DATE END

AS TIMESTAMP FORMAT'ddmmmyyyy hh:mm:ss')