Different Modes and Format

Tools

Different Modes and Format

Hello All,

I am new to teradata.

Could u help me understand the advantages of using different MODES and FORMAT in Fast Export and Fast Load.

MODE RECORD[INDICATOR] FORMAT BINARY[FASTLOAD,TEXT,UNFOMAT]

Thanks in Advance.

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Different Modes and Format

(all of this is located in our documentation)

MODE RECORD means the data will not have indicator bytes.

MODE INDICATOR means the data will be preceded by indicator bytes.

For the record formats, we actually have 5:

FASTLOAD (also known as "FORMATTED") is a binary format, beginning with a 2-byte record length indicator ('n'), followed by 'n' bytes of data, followed by the end-of-record marker.

BINARY is a binary format, beginning with a 2-byte record length indicator ('n'), followed by 'n' bytes of data (no EOR).

TEXT is a text/character record format consisting of a series of fixed-length CHAR fields (no record length indicator and no EOR).

UNFORMATTED is a binary record format consisting of the raw data (no record length indicator and no EOR).

VARTEXT (also known as DELIMITED) is a text/character format where each variable-length field is separated by a delimiter character.

For more detailed information, please refer to the documentation of the tool you are trying to use.

-- SteveF

I do not have any documents in particular. I google when i go wrong. In the worst case i post it here to get my doubts clarified.

Thanks feinholz. :)

Feinholz,

Where can i find the documentations?

Can i find it in the forum itself?

Teradata Employee

All of our documentation can be found here:

http://www.info.teradata.com/

-- SteveF

Thanks feinholz. The Link u provided is very helpfull.