Easy Loader for Teradata Parallel Transporter

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.
Teradata Employee

Easy Loader for Teradata Parallel Transporter

There is now a new command line interface to Teradata Parallel Transporter!

TPT users have been asking for this for a while now, and we have delivered. We will explore here a brief summary of what it is and how to use it.

The command line name for this feature is "tdload". "tdload" is a front end "wrapper" to TPT that enables the user to load data from a (comma) delimited flat file into Teradata; without the need for writing a script!

We use the Unix convention command line options for the user to provide us with the necessary essentials (i.e. file name, user name, password, target table name, etc.).

The syntax is as follows (for example):

tdload -f filename -u username -p password -h hostname -t tablename

and the command line options are:

-f file name
-u user name
-p password
-h host name (tdpid)
-t target table name
-d delimiter character
-j job variable file

The default delimiter character is the comma (",") but this can be changed easily on the command line.

We also provide multi-letter command line options for those who want a little more control over their load job:

--SourceFileName

--SourceTextDelimiter

--TargetUserName

--TargetUserPassword

--TargetTdpId

--TargetAccountId

--TargetTable

--TargetMaxSessions

--TargetMinSessions

--TargetErrorLimit

--TargetWorkingDatabase

--LoadInstances

--FileInstances

Single-letter command line options use a single hyphen; multi-letter command line options use double hyphen.

"tdload" also has the intelligence to determine the best loading method. It will first detect whether it is possible to use the Load operator (FastLoad protocol). If not, then it will check whether the Update operator can be used (MultiLoad protocol). If the target table cannot be loaded by either of those operators, then "tdload" will check whether the Stream operator (TPump  protocol) is installed. If so, then the Stream operator will be used. If not, then the load job will use the SQL Inserter operator.

Under the covers, "tdload" will generate the TPT script and then run TPT. When the job is complete, "tdload" will delete the script, so there is no footprint. Since "tdload" is a feature of TPT, the output binary logs will still be generated.

Just like TPT, "tdload" supports the use of a job variable file. The job variable file for "tdload" supports the single-letter command line options and the multi-letter command line options. "tdload" will perform the necessary conversions to job variables and attributes that TPT understands.

Easy Loader is available as an efix to TPT 13.0. It is only available on the patch server and all 4 packages must be downloaded in order to get this feature, as we had to make changes to the TPT Infrastructure as well as the Load, Update and Stream operators.

Also, there is a README file on the patch server that provides more detailed information.

-- SteveF
Tags (3)
107 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Easy Loader for Teradata Parallel Transporter

Is Teradata Parallel Transporter availabe in 12.0?
Teradata Employee

TPT has been available since TTU8.0 (actually before that, but we do not support anything prior to TTU8.2 right now).

So, yes TPT is available as part of the TTU 12.0 set of products.
-- SteveF
Enthusiast

What files should I look for Teradata Parallel Transporter utility on my Unix box.
My system admin says he has installed the Teradatata Tools and Utilities Rel 12.0 Parallel Transporter for HP-UX.
Teradata Employee

Easy Loader is available in TPT13.0. After installing TPT 13.0, you need to download the latest patches for the infrastructure (tbuild) and the affected operators (pload, pupdate, pstream).
-- SteveF
Enthusiast

Is command line syntax one shown in this article, available in Teradata 12.0 on Unix?
If yes, what is the syntax to invoke tpt from command line in Unix.

The syntax is as follows (for example):

tdload -f filename -u username -p password -h hostname -t tablename
Teradata Employee

Easy Loader is available in 13.0. Invoke this command-line only version with the 'tload' command.

TPT is command line driven already but in 12.0 it requires a script and it is invoked through:

tbuild -f . . . . .

Please refer to the TPT documentation for all command line options.
-- SteveF

I have the Source table at Oracle and I want to import the data into a Teradata table using TPT. Do I have to export the data from Oracle to a flat file to use the Easy Loader Utility or is it possible to import it directly from the Oracle DB?
I am using Teradata 13.0.

Thanks,
Saurabh
Teradata Employee

Easy Loader does not support the movement of data from Oracle to Teradata yet. However, you can still use script-based TPT to perform that move without landing data to disk.
-- SteveF

Tried this today after I patched my TPT up to latest 13.0 and it worked very nicely thanks nice tip.