Exporting CSV from TPT

Tools
Enthusiast

Exporting CSV from TPT

Hi,

I have installed FastExport but apparently it cannot output CSV files.

So now I'm trying to get ahold of Teradata parallel transporter, to export a large table (hundreds of millions of rows).

I've read this post and the quickstart guide for TPT, but I still don't know how to export a CSV from a table.

Could someone please provide a sample script that connects to a database with username/password and saves a table as a .CSV file?

thank you,

imran

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Exporting CSV from TPT

I just changed the select statement in the example file to my own table, and I get this error:

ubuntu@home:/opt/teradata/client/15.10/tbuild/sample/quickstart$ tbuild -f qstart2.txt -v jobvars2.txt -j qstart2

Teradata Parallel Transporter Version 15.10.00.04 64-Bit

Job log: /opt/teradata/client/15.10/tbuild/logs/qstart2-1.out

Job id is qstart2-1, running on spark-analytics

Teradata Parallel Transporter Export Operator Version 15.10.00.04

Teradata Parallel Transporter DataConnector Operator Version 15.10.00.04

$EXPORT: private log specified: exportprivate.log

$FILE_WRITER[1]: Instance 1 directing private log report to 'dtacop-ubuntu-14018-1'.

$FILE_WRITER[1]: DataConnector Consumer operator Instances: 1

$FILE_WRITER[1]: ECI operator ID: '$FILE_WRITER-14018'

$FILE_WRITER[1]: Operator instance 1 processing file 'flatfile2.dat'.

$EXPORT: connecting sessions

TPT_INFRA: TPT02639: Error: Conflicting data type for column(4) - "dt". Source column's data type (CHAR) Target column's data type (INTDATE).

$EXPORT: TPT12108: Output Schema does not match data from SELECT statement

$EXPORT: disconnecting sessions

$EXPORT: Total processor time used = '0.04642 Second(s)'

$EXPORT: Start : Sat Apr  9 00:57:08 2016

$EXPORT: End   : Sat Apr  9 00:57:11 2016

$FILE_WRITER[1]: Total files processed: 0.

Job step MAIN_STEP terminated (status 12)

Job qstart2 terminated (status 12)

Job start: Sat Apr  9 00:57:06 2016

Job end:   Sat Apr  9 00:57:11 2016

THis is my qstart2.txt:

DEFINE JOB qstart2

(

APPLY TO OPERATOR ($FILE_WRITER)

SELECT * FROM OPERATOR($EXPORT);

);

This is my jobvars2.txt (with credentials replaced):

SourceTdpId          = 'db.acmecorp.com'

,SourceUserName       = 'myusername'

,SourceUserPassword   = 'mypass'

,DDLPrivateLogName    = 'ddlprivate.log'

,ExportPrivateLogName = 'exportprivate.log'

,TargetErrorList      = ['3807']

,TargetFileName       = 'flatfile2.dat'

,TargetFormat         = 'delimited'

,TargetTextDelimiter  = ','

,TargetOpenMode       = 'write'

,SelectStmt           = 'SELECT * FROM rtl.base;'

Senior Apprentice

This is probably related to the session's DateForm setting, ansiDate returns a 10-character string 'yyyy-mm-dd'  and integerDate returns the internal 4-byte integer.

Try adding a new job variable:

ExportDateForm = 'IntegerDate'

Enthusiast

I was able to get it working by changing it to:

dt = ANSIDATE

It runs, but it's very slow (75,000 rows x 2 columns imported/minute).  I have an 800 million row table.

I've tried increasing the number of MaxSessions, and all the other instance variables, but it has no impact on the speed.

I don't think it's a network issue, as I'm able to download files from the Internet at 65 MB/s on the same network.

Can someone please recommend how I can speed this up?  It says in the documentation somewhere that SQL selects are slow compared to exports?  How do I do an export without a SQL select?

Senior Apprentice

You submitted a SQL Select, but used the FastExport protocol, so this is the fastest possible way.

Changing the number of sessions might not help at all, because this is usually set/adjusted by Workload Management.

You need to check the logs: tlogview -j yourjobid -f  "*"  -g where yourjobid is the one returned when you start the job: "Job id is qstart2-1"

There's lots of information returned, you need to look at the FILE_WRITER details.

75,000 rows per minute is extremely slow, I just tried the QuickStart script & exported 3,000,000 rows to a 130MB flat file from a local TD VM to another local Windows WM and the whole TPT job run in < 10 seconds, < three seconds for the FileWriter part.

Enthusiast

Thanks Dieter

Here's my log: http://pastebin.com/bXatXwKk

What's interesting is that it says the query itself takes 2-3 seconds, but the time from when it starts to when it finishes is close to 4 minutes.  What could be going on?

regards,

imran

Senior Apprentice

I don't have expertise in reading detailed TPT logs, better wait for Steve Feinholz :-)

Sending the data was only 6 seconds:

**** 15:53:11 Select execution completed. 5850 data blocks generated.

**** 15:53:17 Finished sending rows

Your system is huge, 5850 AMPs, and you request way too many sessions, one per AMP (I didn't know this is possible for an Export):

**** 15:52:56 Maximum number of special sessions requested: All

**** 15:52:56 Minimum number of special sessions required: 1

Instance Assigned Connected Result
======== ======== ========= ======================
1 2925 299 CLI Error 301
2 2925 300 CLI Error 301
======== ======== ========= ======================
Total 5850 599 Warning

Logging on 599 sessions runs for more than 2 minutes and logoff was another 40 seconds (there's a TASMSessionLimit event, but it doesn't seem to limit the number).

Try a single instance and a few sessions, for 290,413 rows a single session should be enough: ExportMaxSessions = 1

When your export is larger you will still use only a few sessions.

You should ask your DBAs, they should know about the settings for TPT Exports to achieve good performance on your system.

Teradata Employee

The default for the Export operator is 1 per available AMP.

Unlike FastExport that defaults to 4.

(We could not have a default of '4' when we support multiple instances, and all of the operators are now consistent with each other.)

The job in question specifies 2 instances, and so ExportMaxSessions needs to be at least 2.

But, as Dieter noted, since you only need 1 (or maybe 2) sessions, you only need 1 instance of the Export operator.

If you were claiming that the entire job took a long time, it looks (to me without seeing the whole log) as if the session connects took up most of the time.

-- SteveF