Fast Export

Tools
Teradata Employee

Fast Export

We recently upgraded from V2R5 to V2R6 and I noticed that when running Fastload and FastExport scripts, it is asking for the user password NUMEROUS times (I do not pass my password within the script).

It appeared to be asking for a password for the initial logon, and then for each session as defined in the script, and then again before logging off. I always set SESSIONS to 4, and it is asking for a password up to 8 times until the script completes.

Obviously, this is annoying, as one mistype and the script fails.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Here is an example script:

.logtable DM.ACLTemp_log;

.logon TDATABOX1/USERID;

.begin export sessions 4;

.export outfile
o:\fastexport\export.txt

Mode record format text;

Select prodid (char (11))
,prodcode (char (6))
From TRAINING.PRODUCT_HELD
;

.end export;

.logoff;

I find this quite odd! I just tested it again, and indeed it was 7 password requests. It pauses after the first one, then requests 2 through 6 just pop up one after the other. The remainder of the script runs, and then before it logs off, it asks for the password again.

Is there perhaps a flag for load jobs for explicit logging or something like that?

Any help would be appreciated.

Andrew
6 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Fast Export

Hello!

I've had 741 views to this post, but no one has replied. Has no one encountered this problem before?

Thanks!

Andrew
Teradata Employee

I've had over 3000 views to this, which suggests others are experiencing the same thing.

I've looked through the FastLoad/FastExport manuals and there is nothing about this in it.

Obviously, we can advise our users to simply code their password into their scripts, but in this age of increased security, we really do not want to do this.

Does anyone have an idea as to why this is happening? Even if it is a bug, or "simply the way it is", at least then we can explain this in those terms to users.

Thanks!
Teradata Employee

That's just how it works. Since this is only an issue when running "interactively", and longer term the move is toward single sign-on / directory-based authentication, I doubt Teradata will change it.

The utilities simply pass the supplied logon information to CLIv2, and it's the driver that issues the password prompt. The value entered is not passed back to the calling utility nor saved, so each session generates a separate prompt. (In the case of your FastExport, that was one session to create the logtable, one SQL "control" and four data "export" sessions for the export step itself, and one to drop the logtable.)

One could argue that it would be nice for CLI to cache the value entered and re-use it when appropriate rather than re-prompting. It ought to be possible to implement that functionality via the logon user exit, but I think you'd have to include code to do the prompting as well as caching the value; and you'd have to install it on each client machine.
Teradata Employee

SupremeBeing,

Many thanks for your reply. What you say makes complete sense. The only problem is, this never happened on V2R5, only when we went to V2R6.

It would be nice if CLI cached the password, but from a security standpoint it may be better that it doesn't.

I never considered the bit about the logtable!

Kind regards,

Andrew
Teradata Employee

The behavior may have changed when all the drivers were restructured to use GSS for authentication; that was in TTU8.0 (which corresponds to your V2R6 observation).
Teradata Employee

Further to this, we have now moved to V12 then V13, and one of my analysts pointed out that if you type the TDP location location in lower-case it does not prompt numerous times for passwords:

.logon dataprod1/userid; - prompted me one time

as opposed to

.logon DATAPROD1/userid; - prompted me 8 times

This is pretty strange, and could be considered a "bug", but I wouldn't expect a change, because there shouldn't be any ramifications with putting the TDP in lower-case.