ODBC Operator and Window Authentication

Tools
Enthusiast

ODBC Operator and Window Authentication

Hello:

I'm just tryingt to confirm that in order to get Windows Authentication to work you would exclude the UserName and UserPassword attributes and let the DSN handle it.  It that correct?

If that is correct is the driver that I'm using not compatible with the ODBC Operator?  

CR SQL Server Wire Protocol ODBC Driver 5.3 (5.33.00.54)

I have the following error in my private log:

ODBCOperator: TPT17122: Error: unable to connect to data source

**** 13:34:12 TPT17122: Error: unable to connect to data source

ODBCOperator: TPT17101: Fatal error received from ODBC driver:

STATE=28000, CODE=18456,

MSG='[Crystal Reports][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for use' 

**** 13:34:12 TPT17101: Fatal error received from ODBC driver:

STATE=28000, CODE=18456,

MSG='[Crystal Reports][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for use' 

3 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: ODBC Operator and Window Authentication

TPT is only certified with the ODBC drivers from Progress DataDirect.

Use of any other ODBC driver is unsupported.

Thus, you would have to talk to Crystal Reports about the issue you are receiving.

-- SteveF
Enthusiast

Hello Steve:

Thank you.  This was very helpful.

The driver above is actually manufactured by Data Direct and was a "wire protocol" driver, however, the company name for the driver above was listed as "Not Marked" in the ODBC Data Source Administrator under the Driver tab.  Apparently, Progress recently purchased Data Direct and they make several flavors of these wire protocol drivers and that is where the confusion was. 

We also looked at driver which appears in the ODBC Administrator as "DataDirect 6.1 SQL Server Wire Protocol", however, the company was listed as "Informatica" and they didn't work.

The driver which did work for us has a similar entry in the ODBC Administrator of "DataDirect 7.1 SQL Server Wire Protocol", however, the company was listed correctly as "Progress Software Corporation".

The moral is that it may be a Data Direct driver, but if it is not a Progress Data Direct driver then is won't work so check the company name under in the ODBC Data Source Administrator.

On a side note, I know they are up to 4X faster, but it would be nice to be able to use any ODBC driver with this ODBC operator in the future.  Thanks again!

Teradata Employee

In a perfect world, yes it would be nice to support every ODBC driver with our ODBC operator.

However, for us to "support" them, we would need to "certify" with them.

We have tried this in the past. There are a lot of drivers out there. Some are free. Some require licenses.

The free ones are not very good. We had come across a few bugs here and there, but could not get them fixed (you get what you pay for).

We tried to certify with EasySoft and OpenLink, but it turns out that their license fees are not cheap (cheaper than DataDirect, but when one customer went to DataDirect with the OpenLink license numbers, DataDirect lowered their price; thus, it did not seem important enough at the time to spend the resources to certify with OpenLink).

Even with Oracle's drivers, the version "9" drivers were buggy.

The version "10" are better.

Not sure if we have tried with version "11".

Certifying with Oracle's, Microsoft's and Simba's driver is on the roadmap.

As far as "any", we will not certify with all of the drivers out there.

If the drivers are written to (and follow) the standard, we should be able to work with any driver.

However, we will only provide "support" for those with which we certify.

-- SteveF