Obtaining Failed load records from TPT load

Tools
Enthusiast

Obtaining Failed load records from TPT load

I understand that ErrorTable1 has my bad load records in it but how can I get them back out.

The DataParcel column is defined as : Entire data record, as provided by the source producer operator. 

When I use teradata SQL assistant and have it output the dataparcel to a file it appers to only be the leading lenght bytes and the column data in error.  

I need to write these records back out to a file, in a more automated fashion anyway.

I need to know which input records are causing load issues, so I can provide the creater of the file with specifics about the bad records.

How is this normally accomplished?

Thank you.

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Obtaining Failed load records from TPT load

I see this question is related to another thread "bteq export and import for _ET dataparcel" 20 Feb 2012  is there any utility that will dump the error table to a file?

I would also like to see the input record number added to the error table.

Teradata Employee

We are coming out with a utility to extract the data from the DataParcel field and write it out in readable format (delimited), if the original record was delimited. If the original record format was binary, then the data will be written out in its original form. This will be available in 15.0. It will be part of TPT (although the utility itself will be a standalone utility).

As for changes to the layout of the error table, right now there are no plans to change that.

-- SteveF
Teradata Employee

Incidentally, just so you know (this is not a trade secret), the information in DataParcel is in the exact format that we send the data to Teradata. Thus, if your original file contained delimited records, the information in DataParcel is a series of VARCHAR fields (2-byte 'n', followed by 'n' bytes, for each field). If the data was loaded by TPT, then each record begins with a 2-byte row length, followed by the indicator bytes, followed by the data. If the format of the input records was binary, then the data portion will be the exact data record from the input file.

True, there are no record numbers (unless that is part of the data), but at least you know that there is no "trick" to the format of the data.

-- SteveF
Enthusiast

Is there any method of outputing a file from a table with a varbyte field using any teradata utility ?

Teradata Employee

Any tool that can SELECT from Teradata.  :)

You can use BTEQ or FastExport. Some people have used SQLA.

However, realize that the data will be in binary. The reason for the field being VARBYTE is so that character data is not converted according to the client session character set. The VARBYTE field keeps the data (byte-for-byte) in its original form.

This also means if you are extracting the data from a different target architecture machine from where the data originated, you will need to account for that as well.

-- SteveF
Teradata Employee

In Appendix B of the TPT Reference Manual we list:

DEFINE SCHEMA schema-name 'DBS table name'

DEFINE SCHEMA schema-name DELIMITED 'DBS table name'

as being obsolete, and not to use.

The syntax should be:

DEFINE SCHEMA schema-name FROM TABLE 'DBS table name'

DEFINE SCHEMA schema-name FROM TABLE DELIMITED 'DBS table name'

When you tried this:

DEFINE SCHEMA EOD_USAGE  FROM TABLE DELIMITED '@X';

it failed because you put the job variable in quotes.

We do not parse anything in quotes. The error is expected.

As you saw, when using job variables, this is the correct syntax:

DEFINE SCHEMA EOD_USAGE  FROM TABLE DELIMITED @X;

As for this:

DEFINE SCHEMA EOD_USAGE  FROM TABLE DELIMITED '''  || @X || ''';

That is supposed to fail because there is nothing to concatenate. You just put the string "||@X||" as the table name.

But if you say this does not work:

DEFINE SCHEMA EOD_USAGE  FROM TABLE DELIMITED 'SONARTEST.EOD_USAGE';

then that is a problem.

Please re-run just this example and send me the output.

-- SteveF
Enthusiast

Is there an example with a varbyte using  FastExport  that you can point me to please?